Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preparedness pop-quiz

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    This... this is a way of life! This is THE mantra for survival!

Its amazing how few people understand that concept, how few "get it" and especially how few utilize it.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

My score is only 33, not great. I really think this is a great checklist for some things to get done. While I can't score for having a source of wood for heat, where I live it is not critical. One thing we do have that is not addressed is a fairly large supply of propane that will be used for cooking needs.

I see a few areas where I could quickly add some points. However the goal is not adding points is it? The goal is survival. Some of those areas will certainly help. While we live in the greater Los Angeles area, our home is in a good defensible position, particularly with our neighbors involved, something some of us have discussed. A supply of natural water is not always available as the river not far from us will be nearly dry in the summer months of the dry years. If the shit happened right now, we could use that water. It will certainly need filtering and disinfecting. Fortunately we have prepped for that.

Walking on Sunshine

Guess I'm dead then. Took the test, failed miserably due to the BIG ,BIG bone of contention here (firearms) and a DH that says and I am quoting "Nothing will happen" and "The government won't let it happen" AND "we'll just go to the shelters if there's an emergency" Love the man and 98% of the time we are on the same page on things but it's frustrating. SO I just keep doing what I can with what little money I have and rottenly hoping for a mini SHTF situation to get him to understand what could happen on a larger scale and why I am "preparing for Armageddon" as he calls it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Guess I'm dead then. Took the test, failed miserably due to the BIG ,BIG bone of contention here (firearms) and a DH that says and I am quoting "Nothing will happen" and "The government won't let it happen" AND "we'll just go to the shelters if there's an emergency" Love the man and 98% of the time we are on the same page on things but it's frustrating. SO I just keep doing what I can with what little money I have and rottenly hoping for a mini SHTF situation to get him to understand what could happen on a larger scale and why I am "preparing for Armageddon" as he calls it.
    I understand the point of contention between your husband and you when it comes to firearms. Might I make a subtle suggestion? Take some of that money that you set aside for preps, and squirrel it away until you have enough to purchase a good used firearm. Theres always plenty of those on the market and there is always deals to be found.

Some recommendations-
    1- www.armslist.com Here you can narrow the search down to your area of your state, and see what people are selling/trading. Since you live in a free state, you can just meet up at a mutually agreeable spot, and do your trade in cash/barter and you have a gun. I recommend your local Police station parking lot, or a Walmart parking lot where you are in view of the cameras personally.
    2- www.craigslist.com A bit more restricted when looking for guns, but they can be found. Usually look for "2nd Amendment items" or "2A" in the search bar of the "For Sale" section and you can always turn up one or two! Also do not forget to check out the "Barter Section" is the For Sale area, every now and then one goes up there as well.
    3- www.facebook.com Now heres where it gets tricky. Since the sale of firearms is forbidden by facebook, you have to know how to sidestep things from time to time. Look for groups in your state that are "hunting/outdoors" "Guy Stuff Only" or discussion groups, and sooner or later you will end up on a gun selling page. Another thing I search for is "hunting accessories, you can usually find one or two there.
    4- As far as firearms go...
    *Remington 870 shotgun in either 12 gauge or 20 gauge. Easy to use/manipulate/learn on, and a formidable weapon system when facing one. If you cannot find one of those, try to find a mossberg 500, same applies. Every now and then you can find one for sale for about $100.00, not too shabby of a deal.
    * AR-15 or Ruger Mini-14, .223 caliber (aka 5.56) is your standard go-to caliber, try to find one in that caliber. AR-15's can be found as low as $499 nowadays if you are willing to do the homework to find them
    * Pistol, here I recommend either a .357 revolver or a 9MM. Easy on the wallet as far as pricing for ammo goes, easily reloadable if you find yourself progressing to that level, and with the revolver, you can practice with .38 special as it also fits into a .357 revolver.

If you need any help, please let me know, Im more than willing to do some searching in your area and see if I can find something tailored to your budget!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post

Want us to come up there and slap him around a little and call him "Sally"? .......OK you know I'm kidding, WE are and always will be here for ya, just keep us posted as usual. Maybe we'll cause a mini............ok skip that. I wish I had his confidence, guess I was playing in the wrong rec room.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I scored a 50...but not because I'm an expert in any of the fields. I mostly scored due to location, food and water, weapons and ammo storage, and due to owning a superior RV.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

For the Love of Cats

I think you meant "In spite of owning an RV"

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."
    "Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the fucking face"
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    "Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the fucking face"
    Yep ; Murphy's law is still as relevant today as it was way back when.

Mike Tyson said that... very prophetic.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,