Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
Guess I'm dead then. Took the test, failed miserably due to the BIG ,BIG bone of contention here (firearms) and a DH that says and I am quoting "Nothing will happen" and "The government won't let it happen" AND "we'll just go to the shelters if there's an emergency" Love the man and 98% of the time we are on the same page on things but it's frustrating. SO I just keep doing what I can with what little money I have and rottenly hoping for a mini SHTF situation to get him to understand what could happen on a larger scale and why I am "preparing for Armageddon" as he calls it.
I understand the point of contention between your husband and you when it comes to firearms. Might I make a subtle suggestion? Take some of that money that you set aside for preps, and squirrel it away until you have enough to purchase a good used firearm. Theres always plenty of those on the market and there is always deals to be found.

Some recommendations-
1- www.armslist.com Here you can narrow the search down to your area of your state, and see what people are selling/trading. Since you live in a free state, you can just meet up at a mutually agreeable spot, and do your trade in cash/barter and you have a gun. I recommend your local Police station parking lot, or a Walmart parking lot where you are in view of the cameras personally.
2- www.craigslist.com A bit more restricted when looking for guns, but they can be found. Usually look for "2nd Amendment items" or "2A" in the search bar of the "For Sale" section and you can always turn up one or two! Also do not forget to check out the "Barter Section" is the For Sale area, every now and then one goes up there as well.
3- www.facebook.com Now heres where it gets tricky. Since the sale of firearms is forbidden by facebook, you have to know how to sidestep things from time to time. Look for groups in your state that are "hunting/outdoors" "Guy Stuff Only" or discussion groups, and sooner or later you will end up on a gun selling page. Another thing I search for is "hunting accessories, you can usually find one or two there.
4- As far as firearms go...
*Remington 870 shotgun in either 12 gauge or 20 gauge. Easy to use/manipulate/learn on, and a formidable weapon system when facing one. If you cannot find one of those, try to find a mossberg 500, same applies. Every now and then you can find one for sale for about $100.00, not too shabby of a deal.
* AR-15 or Ruger Mini-14, .223 caliber (aka 5.56) is your standard go-to caliber, try to find one in that caliber. AR-15's can be found as low as $499 nowadays if you are willing to do the homework to find them
* Pistol, here I recommend either a .357 revolver or a 9MM. Easy on the wallet as far as pricing for ammo goes, easily reloadable if you find yourself progressing to that level, and with the revolver, you can practice with .38 special as it also fits into a .357 revolver.

If you need any help, please let me know, Im more than willing to do some searching in your area and see if I can find something tailored to your budget!