Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Coop

I'll most likely shit myself

Chicken Coop

I finally got started on my chicken coop this weekend. I've been in planning and assembling supply mode most all summer. It was good to get it going and something to look at. I have a few pics and will try to describe a little of what I was doing. I decided to go with a 10x12 overall building. This will give me plenty of room for my current flock, but will easily hold 3-4 times as many as I have should I want to increase the size.

These pics are just showing the 1st corner post. Getting this one set to the height and oreintation you want then getting it plumb is very important to having the building turn out square and for the parts to fit together properly. Second shot is of all 4 post set in place.

These show the outside surrounds set in place and of how I attached them to the post. I cut 1-1/2" shoulders in each af the 4 post on 2 sides for the surrounds to sit on. I attached them with 3/8x4" lag screws. I don't think they'll come out.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

BP, I don't think administration will allow pictures with that much detail so cut it out. Just throw the wood together and nail it here screw it there and maybe tape a little.....I'm J/K. It makes my coop look bad. I could never let my chickens see it--lol. Keep up the good work. Are you running electric to it? Water?
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'm gonna have a 275 gollon tote to collect rain water. I think that should be plenty for the chickens & hopefully some for the garden just below it. For power I'm thinkin of using a AGM battery maybe 55 amps with a solar charger and run 2-4 led lights from it. I'm also looking for a small 12v heat tape to keep the water just above freezing this winter.

This is my first construction project in years. It's turned out better than I hoped so far.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

The start is looking very promising. Keep us posted on the progress.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Sounds like a good plan. I thought about the solar lighting but found they roost with or without the lighting. It would help for warmth but I never lost one to cold, only heat. With water...I take a 3 gallon waterer out each day in winter and run the hose in summer. Keep up the good work.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Premium Member

Looks good BP

Re: the Led lights...Here is what we have found. Led and florescent light (CFL) do not give off the kind of light that the chickens want for laying. Chickens need 12-13 hrs of light for optimum egg production. Recommend regular incandescent on a timer.

Thanks A-10!

Didn't know about the color (I assume) of the light. I knew they are different, but wasn't aware it would affect the chickens. Guess I need more solar and battery.

By the way, welcome to the forum. There's some great folks here and lots of good info gets passed around. Jump in with both feet.

You can get a small water heater that a plastic bucket can rest on in the winter, they are thermostatically controlled and work pretty well down to about -10F. Also don't forget to get some oyster shell to mix in their food and leave a little sand or gravel around so they can get some into their crops for grinding their food. Your coop is so nice they may not have access to dirt!

I've saw those at tractor supply, but I'm not planning on having AC power out there. I'm mixing in thoyster shells already( I hope they begin laying in the next month or so).

Once the coop is done } plan on having a large fenced in area for them torun in thru the day. Thanks for the tips.