Thread: Tomatos in SoCal

Tomatos in SoCal

I realize this thread will have a very small audience, at least not many other forum members are in this part of the world.

For some strange reason many of the people in our area have had very poor crop on tomatos this year. It does not seem to matter what variety someone is growing. Three neighbors and two brother-in-laws have experienced the same issue. Strong, healthy looking plants and very small production, in some cases NO fruit set. We can not seem to explain the cause.

I started gardening by growing tomatoes over 40 years ago so I am not a rookie. Never seen anything like it. I can not find any pests or signs of disease. Just no fruit set. Very disappointing since our peppers and tomatillos have produced well and I was hoping to really put up some salsa.

I'll most likely shit myself

How did you fertilize the plants? The reason I ask, I planted a bunch one year with honey holes, good quality compost, someseasoned. Ow manure. The plant were great 8' tall and so bushy you couldn't se thru them. Very ew blooms and no fruit. Seemed to be too mu h nitgorgen.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    To much Nitrogen later in the growing season. Nitrogen is compost. I would suggest pulling back on the frequent applications. Nitrogen promotes plant growth but inhibits flowering/fruiting. That is how I am understanding it. I use water/solids from my fish tank swirl filter. But that is for the first few months of growth (1 time every 2 weeks) and I use Epsom Salts every other week. But then apply the swirl filter collections only when the plant looks like it is in need.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

I planted just like I have done every other year. A small amount of compost goes into the hole. I understand about nitrogen levels being too high, it certainly can make plants big and green and barren. I don't think that has been the issue though. Odd that others in the general area havae had the same problem.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

My maters absolutely sucked this year in N. TX. Our cherry tomatoes did ok, but last year we were giving away maters almost every day. This year my kid eats them before they make it to the house.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

Poor tomato crops up here too, from most people that I've spoken to. Healthy plants, but little fruit
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

I planted 15 plants this year. Never got anything from 5 of them the other 4 or 5 ea h. Other than 2 cayenne I planted peppers were awful as well.

Walking on Sunshine

DH planted our tomatoes when we were supposed to and they didn't start growing until Mid July Now we have about 10-11 very small green 'maters that may not get ripe before October. He's been growing them for over 40 years and this is the first time the plants didn't do anything for 2 months. they just sat there about four inches high for the longest time Then they started shooting up in August with a few flowers, he's not sure what is going on either. The only thing I can think of is that we had the pines sprayed to get rid of the scale and some of it may have blown onto the plants.