Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debris Hut Construction

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Debris Hut Construction

Here is a fun project that you can get the kids to do. It will help them to get into the "survival spirit" and there isn't much danger. It can also help take the edge off of fear and give them some experience.

A strong ridge pole and a good location are the first steps to the debris hut. Make sure the area is high and dry to avoid any problems with water drainage during a storm. The area was checked for abundance of material and possible hazards. (i.e. poisonous plants, insets, dead-falls, widow-makers, etc.) Direction is noted for the door. Look closely; you may find my tracks in a thin layer of debris under the ridgepole.

Next, sticks are placed as ribbing along both sides of the ridge pole. This is done after I have laid down and measured the interior. Note the door opening near the sapling facing east or slightly southeast.

Still more sticks are placed to hold the debris up. More dry debris is also stuffed in the interior for comfortable bedding that lifts you off the cold ground. This is also a good time to roof off your entryway by placing four forked sticks into the ground at the desired height, and ribbing the top with a network of sticks.

Start piling on debris thick and high. Note the steep walls for shedding water.

The finished product! The walls are about 2 feet thick, good for a 20 degree night. This was probably my 10th debris hut. It took about 2 hours from start to finish. The rather speedy time (for me anyway) was no doubt due to the extraordinary abundance of material in this beautiful transition forest.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Now that is flat cool. Thanks for sharing it. I can see how something like this could be useful in a couple of different ways.

Hope it doesn't get windy while you are in there.

I'll most likely shit myself

Very cool hut. I need to try building one of those and try different techniques with it. That would be super useful depending on the situation.

must know info, but I try to always have my Mylar bag, hammock, ground sheet, bug netting,and 2 poncho "tent" (slung over a suspended cord and weighted/staked-down.) Saves me gobs of time and effort. :-)

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

why cant I see the pictures?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

We've disabled them in your case in an effort to save bandwidth. The consensus being you were likely hiding in the bushes and watching anyway!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

haha!! I guess something's wrong with my binoculars.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

lol! It is a good question though, I can't see them anymore either.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Rat sounds like you got Izzy hung up in the bushes .

Faster what do you use the ground sheet for with the hammock? Just tryin to figure that out.

The debris hut is a warm shelter, very good for winter or cold weather. Not so much in hot weather, due to lack of ventilation.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I want to see the pics. Please fix the pictures