Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of the P38 can opener....

may be in trouble

If memory serves, Coghlans offers a more -51 - like can opener, a bit longer and the end dished out into a spoon, all in stainless. But the basic premise of the 38/51s is dead on... simple, hard-wearing and nearly GI proof. Would there were more such tackle these days.

The terribly taxed Kesephist

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    Thank you OT. This is one small area among many I was lacking. I ordered 5 of the P-51 can openers that arrived today. One going into each vehicle with the car GHB, and one in each BOB at home,
    and put the other in the wood shop. Again, thanks for the reminder.
    Great, now I know where they're at in case I need one........neighbor.

Never had much use for sharp objects in rubber boats. However one quick wrap of tape will suffice and render it harmless to said vessel. Then again, the navy had those in all lifeboat survival kits.....back in the day. We had canned water in the kits, yeah really, the lifeboat capsules were opened, inflated, tested and inventoried every 5yrs. The cans were later replaced with plastic containers.....which later sometimes leaked and evaporated. But then they got rid of the P38s, no need for it cause everything is plastic. Let me know when I start making sense..........
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Great, now I know where they're at in case I need one........neighbor.

Never had much use for sharp objects in rubber boats. However one quick wrap of tape will suffice and render it harmless to said vessel. Then again, the navy had those in all lifeboat survival kits.....back in the day. We had canned water in the kits, yeah really, the lifeboat capsules were opened, inflated, tested and inventoried every 5yrs. The cans were later replaced with plastic containers.....which later sometimes leaked and evaporated. But then they got rid of the P38s, no need for it cause everything is plastic. Let me know when I start making sense..........
    Yep ; Going from metal canteens to plastic canteens. Metal okay. Plastic you could taste and smell the plastic as you drank.

I don't like Gatorade sold in those plastic bottles. But I do like their heavy duty plastic bottles. What I do is buy three plastic bottled Gatorade drinks..and pour them out.Then I rinse the bottles out and put water in them from the water cooler at work. Two of these bottles I keep in the door shelf of the fridge at work. The other I fill, drink, and rotate out with the other two from the fridge.

The idea here is to always have two bottles of water on the ready line ...ready to go if SHTF while I am at work. On the way out the plan is to grab my BOB and the two bottles of water.

The one empty is in my daily BOB right now right here behind me at this computer desk and I fill it up when I hit the clock at work as the cooler is next to the clock.

Occasionally I will buy new Gatorade bottles and pour out the Gatorade and clean/rinse it out for water....swap them out.

The other reason I like this type of bottle is that they have a wide opening at the cap and come in handy for one time use with some duct tape. This is secondary to it's use as a heavy duty water bottle.

Agree with eagle about the plastic bottle taste..but they are handy in the Gatorade bottle form.
    I remember the metal canteens...with the removable food container with handle on the bottom of them.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Bacon saver

Soooooooo, now we know what you do for work.......er, ah, at work that is. But I do like your plan.........always have a contingency.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Was thinking about this from page 1 of this thread...by Katrina.

I had mine in my wallet February when I flew back from taking care of DIL. No one said anything to me about it.Either they didn't know what it was or they just ignored it.

The reason I say this is because my wallet is a set of PS 13 lock picks.

http://www.gun-room.com/online/index...d&productId=17

I've carried them with me for years and years now...daily. I have to be careful when going into airports, courts and such but try to stay away from the same.

This is a type of thinking and skill for which I picked up from the olde timers at work. Saved myself a ton of monies over the years in locksmith charges...in opening my home, my garage and even my older cars and truck...when locked out.

I have another two sets of them set aside in my other BOBs.

Have a lot of keys on my keychain as well as my P38.
    I expect that they know what a P28 looks like under an x ray at airports...there are literally millions of them circulating around the country and world.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Around here, carrying lockpicks on your person if not a licensed locksmith is a crime, possession of burglary tools.

I have a couple of the old steel canteens, with the cups.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Around here, carrying lockpicks on your person if not a licensed locksmith is a crime, possession of burglary tools.

I have a couple of the old steel canteens, with the cups.

Yup...same here.

So too is making your own silencer...even a one time silencer.

Oh...wait a minute...we are in the same jurisdiction...by your profile.

Orangetom

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Making your own silencer is not prohibited by state law in VA.
    It is prohibited by federal law, if you don't first pay the tax stamp.

I have 3 silencers I made myself, all of them registered and legal.

Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Making your own silencer is not prohibited by state law in VA.
    It is prohibited by federal law, if you don't first pay the tax stamp.
    I've not been impressed with Federal law in a long time now...in particular with the joke our pseudo leadership has made over the years of that very law for profit....lucre/politics. Also the current joke they are making out of the FBI and other alphabet agencies...to support a whorish body politic.

And these guys are worried about me with a gun...and ammunition....Wow!! Or the knowledge I have because I don't watch the NFL OR NASCAR...or the Kardashians.

They need to be worried about me down at work...handing Uranium 235.

I did however have a interesting conversation with one of the security guards at work, also a member of the same gun club to which I belong, who told me this via his interaction with the local constabulary.

He told me that often in murder cases involving this kind of one time use...they know because of the plastic pieces/traces often found in the wound cavity. While I am not in the forensics profession ...I found that piece of info to be interesting.

As to lock picks....at one time there were many many people, like me, who had lock picks down at work. Today these people have been replaced with new calibers of folks who mostly know how to text message. They come to us when they have problems with their keys or locks...often I tell many of them no..I wont help them.

I did not learn these skills "Instantly." They need to learn to do something more than just text message.

My nightmare dream/scenario is to be stuck on the famous desert island with 400 people who mostly know how to blame other people and claim "victimhood" and or text message.

Thanks,
    Orangetom