Thread: City life has gotta suck...right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't think I could live in southern California. Not sure about Northern California but there is some kind of highway which runs the coast up to Washington State. That road looks beautiful..like a picture post card.

But Southern California...I've been there. You need NASCAR track training/driver training to handle the interstates and all the loon drivers out there. It is quite something to behold.

Now my friend moved from this area in Smithfield, Virginia to East of Johnson City, Tennessee. I spoke to him for about 45 minutes last night on my ham radio. He is an olde country boy from way back...and decided on Tennessee once he found the right property. It is way off the beaten path...but towns are not all that far away.

However...it is road conditions which govern how and when he will make his trips to town....particularly snow and or ice coming down off the mountain. I mean to tell you ...he is back in there. I can see his place from the satellite but it is a long winding road up the mountain and then a winding road to his place back in there from the main road to his home.

This is a place where you take your shopping list...you just don't go down the mountain for cigarettes or milk...but take your whole list.

But I am happy for him....and always glad to hook up via ham radio. We estimate the air distance at about 400 miles.
    Both of us have built our own wire antennas (olde School) and hung them up high into the trees.

Yes..finding the right place would be very important. Tennessee folks don't cotton to herding or being herded out in the country.
    They tend to be a bit more independent than city folk. Also Tennessee is a big 2A state.
    And my friend is definitely not an Ishmaelite.

I am glad for my friend that it worked out for him and his woman.

I joke with him about riding his lawn mower au natural...and or yielding to Natures call from his porch if he so desired and not worry about his neighbors...he is that far in there.

Added in Edit function,

Just came in from my garage wherein I reloaded about 134 rounds of .38 special loaded to about 850 fps with 158 grain cast copper plated semi wad cutters. I'd shot them up about a month ago in my Ruger GP 100 and had forgotten them in the bottom of a 5 gallon shooting bucket.

I use this load a lot for practice.

Will be doing the same with about 40 rounds of 45ACP in the next few days and using 230 grain round nose bullets.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 06-04-2018 at 05:01 PM.