Thread: moldy seed pods

Walking on Sunshine

moldy seed pods

Hi all,
    Got a question; I've been waiting on the seed pods for our "salad greens" to develop. Went out side today to check on the pods, when I opened quite a few, there's mold on the seeds. Should I have pulled them sooner or done something else than leave them on the stems?? This is my first time harvesting seeds for the next years "crop" of lettuce. Have done squash and pumpkins with good success.Could be it's the moisture/humidity that's caused this? Thank you in advance for any help on this

Do you have a robot?
    I just saw this and the answer is yes, pick them them sooner. You are right the moisture/humidity was probably the cause. Out where I am at we do not have much humidity. Your seed pods need to be able to dry out a little especially at the end of the harvest. If they are always moist then it is just like someone's shower mold will show up as they decay. My garden is all on drip so the water stays off the vegetables and plant leaves, it waters just what is needed. We do not get rains until the end of the season so it is our signal to get ready for winter.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Walking on Sunshine

realist, you're lucky, this year it was raining so much, you'd thought we were in monsoon territory, LOL. Went to a 'preparedness" expo Saturday and talked to the ladies that do ARK seed vaults in Michigan. They also had the same problem this year with mold. They said it was due to the rain we all had. One of them said they were having problems with powdery mold as well, at least we didn't have that problem. We planted in boxes with water wells this year, most everything grew well, found out the soil we used had no calcium, so no tomatoes this year(blossom rot) and the peas didn't do well in the heat early in season. So how soon should I should I pull the seed pods? when I feel seeds in them?

Do you have a robot?
    Roses get powdery mildew, I wonder if their spray for it would work on tomatoes?

Walking on Sunshine

I'll have to check on that. Next year DH is going to make sure he adds bone meal before we plant the tomatoes. His roses are gorgeous and did really great. I should have quite a few rose hips this year.

For the Love of Cats

I ran into this a number of years back, I picked them anyways and rinsed them in a light vinegar solution and then laid them out on paper towels to dry. Seemed to work.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    I really need to pay more attention to my roses

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks Sniper but too late DH threw them out already. Maybe if this happens next year I'll remember and try the vinegar.