Thread: Grape Jelly

For the Love of Cats

Grape Jelly

So my buddy's kid bought a place nearby, and he actually has grapes growing. They've eaten their fill so he offered me to come and get some, so I went and picked 10 pounds.

Grape Jelly 1
    5 cups juice
    2-1/2 cups sugar
    1 package pectin (dry)
    =3.5 pints finished

Grape Jelly 2
    4 cups juice
    4-1/2 cups sugar
    1 package pectin (liquid)
    =3.5 pints finished

Grape Jelly 3
    3 cups juice
    3 cups sugar
    1 package pectin (dry)
    1 tsp lemon juice
    =2.5 pints finished

Mix all ingredients into pot, bring to hard rolling boil for 1 minute, pour into jars.
    Water bath for 10 minutes.

Juice
    10 # fresh cleaned grapes
    cover with water and boil 10 minutes, mushing
    strain through colander
    strain through jelly bag (twice)
    Let sit for 2 days to blend

NOTE: Never EVER EVER do this in the house again! Grape juice stains anything and everything just by being near it.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

Is that for the purple (concord) grapes or is that for all grapes. reason I'm asking is my niece and nephew in law just moved into their new house and the original owner(and builder of the house 1940's) has a fantastic grape arbor, concord and Catawba(green) grapes well established and huge veggie garden in the back half of the HUGE backyard they got when they bought the house. Niece is just starting to learn how to "put up" the crops.

may be in trouble

Bless them for having the garden area available and an established arbor. THey will find that there is NOTHING as satisfying as food that they had seen to themselves, start to finish. Hadn't heard if green grapes do as well for grape juice as purples...

If the builders got that arbor established say about 1950, then the resultant fruit must be magnificent by now.

Walking on Sunshine

Kes, the gentleman started his vines in the 40's and it IS magnificent, I'm SOOOO jealous. Took my DIL1 and the kids end of June to meet and visit with the cousins and my sisters, Niece showed me her garden. Got to pick some green beans and started to crunch on them. Two older grands(12,10) were amazed at the flavor of a just picked bean. Grapes weren't ready yet so they couldn't try them, darn. Just wish I was closer to them, I'd be over every day. Nephew in law was asking about canning. I've only done water bath canning so I wasn't much help for the veggies but did tell him about the American Canner so hopefully that will be a Christmas present this year for them. Niece was asking about putting up the grapes,didn't have much time to go into details but told her to get the Ball book and some canning jars and follow the instructions to the letter. They should have quite a few jars of juice and jelly this year. He wants to try and make wine but niece says , let's just learn how to can first, THEN we can do the wine. LOL

For the Love of Cats

I don't know what kind they are, they were smallish and dark purple with seeds. Very sweet.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

Sounds like they were concord or muscadines. They sound really yummy. Hope the neighbor lets you harvest next year.