Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
I have yet to find a blade that will hold a edge while cleaning hogs. Got lots of different knifes, custom and store bought.
Are any of your knives tool steel???

Now a hog is a thick skinned and big boned animal...that would be a good test for any knife steel and or design for sure.

I had a tool steel knife years ago...a Gerber Fixed blade knife with L7 tool steel and loaned it to a fellow to go hunting. He cleaned a deer with it and was stunned to find out how long and well it held a edge.

But mind you now....you have to keep these kinds of knives well maintained to prevent rust.

People who cut hair professionally ...and or are Chefs tend to have their tools professionally sharpened.

And Tool steel with it's hardness tends to be difficult to sharpen should one get it dull...it is that hard.

But working in this shipyard..I've learned to handle certain steels to get them to do what I need.

I even taught myself to sharpen a set of scissors.

But we shall see how long and well this knife serves me.

There are so many blends of stainless steel out there that I got bored with trying to keep up.

Only a handful of stainless steels are good for keeping an edge.

I suspect that they give them such exotic names and numbers for the kinds of stainless steels as a sales pitch. Most people haven't a clue as to what the numbers mean or imply.

You can tell the hardness of certain metals...when grinding on them. Soft metals will throw bright sparks a long ways across the room. Hard metals tend to throw fine sparks..when grinding...and not far across the room.

My .02

Orangetom

Not an Ishamelite