Thread: Picked up a KUBEY fdding knife..

Picked up a KUBEY fdding knife..

Some time back I had been thinking about my dissatisfaction with most Stainless brand folding knives. and decided to purchase a D2 steel knife...a folder.

My dis satisfaction with most stainless knives I've had is that they do not long hold an edge.

This time I purchased a knife with a blade made from D 2 Tool steel. This is the kind of steel one finds in drill bits etc. etc. Machine cutting tools.

This is hard steel and it must be taken care of but it will hold an edge longer than most stainless steels. It will also rust if not taken care of so this too is a factor in it's care.

It is also hard enough to be somewhat brittle...so it would not make a good pry bar..as many are often want to do with a knife.

I used this knife to cut the cord I used in tying down my yard furniture for Hurricane Florence and it went through that cord like a hot knife through butter and still had a good edge on it.

Nonetheless..i decided to get a D 2 steel folding knife as I got tired and disgusted with many of the knife steels I found out here.

This is the knife I purchased from KUBEY. I'd never heard of them before reading this ad on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/KUBEY-Folding...SIN=B07FSJY8RZ

This knife also has a very smooth opening and closing function. Very Very smooth...much better than my olde Stainless folder.

And for this type of tool steel it was not all that expensive. It also came with a razor sharp edge on it...in the box.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

For the Love of Cats

Nice. There is certainly something to be said for quality steel!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have yet to find a blade that will hold a edge while cleaning hogs. Got lots of different knifes, custom and store bought.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I have yet to find a blade that will hold a edge while cleaning hogs. Got lots of different knifes, custom and store bought.
    Are any of your knives tool steel???

Now a hog is a thick skinned and big boned animal...that would be a good test for any knife steel and or design for sure.

I had a tool steel knife years ago...a Gerber Fixed blade knife with L7 tool steel and loaned it to a fellow to go hunting. He cleaned a deer with it and was stunned to find out how long and well it held a edge.

But mind you now....you have to keep these kinds of knives well maintained to prevent rust.

People who cut hair professionally ...and or are Chefs tend to have their tools professionally sharpened.

And Tool steel with it's hardness tends to be difficult to sharpen should one get it dull...it is that hard.

But working in this shipyard..I've learned to handle certain steels to get them to do what I need.

I even taught myself to sharpen a set of scissors.

But we shall see how long and well this knife serves me.

There are so many blends of stainless steel out there that I got bored with trying to keep up.

Only a handful of stainless steels are good for keeping an edge.

I suspect that they give them such exotic names and numbers for the kinds of stainless steels as a sales pitch. Most people haven't a clue as to what the numbers mean or imply.

You can tell the hardness of certain metals...when grinding on them. Soft metals will throw bright sparks a long ways across the room. Hard metals tend to throw fine sparks..when grinding...and not far across the room.

My .02

Orangetom

Not an Ishamelite

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I don't know the type of steel, a few or hand made, the rest are store bought. The hand made ones last longer, but I have never had a knife that could clean more than one hog without needing to be sharpened.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    I agree we used carbon steel blades on all our butcher knives and they all got the dull patina but so long as they were maintained they never rusted. They keep a good edge and are just what was needed for butchering. On the ranch we butchered venison, hogs and cattle.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.