Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Into the deep freeze

For the Love of Cats

Into the deep freeze

We have an Arctic Low Front moving through. Going to be -39C with a windchill of -50C... and it's supposed to stay like this for the rest of the week.

Assuming that a teotwawki event occurred, say a massive volcanic eruption like Vesuvius, or Pompeii; a pile of smoke/ash filled the atmosphere and your location suddenly got 30-50 degrees colder... for the next 2-5 years...

What are your shortcomings, your options, and your thoughts...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Our weather was almost identical ST. My truck wouldn't even start in this cold. I'm considering getting a second battery but I'm not sure it would help.

Honestly if it got much colder here I'm not sure much would survive. Frost line would freeze City utilities and even my stuff would be hard pressed to stay safe.

Growing season would go from slim to none. We honestly would have to look at trying to relocate I think.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

I'll most likely shit myself

Good question T. It's something that all of us would struggle with, granted some more than others, but would still suck. Wed and Thur we are expecting temps in the single digits to low teens. Wind chills below zero. Its the coldest we have had the last couple years. 2-5 years of temps similar to that or worse would freeze most municiple water supplies. Growing season would be shortened drastically. I would bet most all the native food sources would die off.

Bacon saver

Sounds like a tropical heat wave baby! Funny, we're milkin the heat an freezin at one place and the other one has more heat than we can stand and we don't use it. Stay warm brother!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Being located in a sub tropical climate as it is, it would make things a fair bit more temperate... The winters would be a shock for sure. First priority is maintaining warmth and infrastructure because our area's infrastructure is not designed for that type of climate.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Unbelievable, we have snow in Normandy tonight.
    Altar Arms - 01 FFL (772) 497-6550 - Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    15$ transfers for SHTF Ready members! WE TAKE TRADES!

For the Love of Cats

break out the snowmobile...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

My little 56yr old brother is hittin the slopes as we speak out in Nevada. Hey, at least he's still gettin it....... What "it" is I ain't exactly sure. All we got was a little dustin this morning.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Walking on Sunshine

With Mt St Helen giving indications of a possible eruption, it has been on my mind. Right now it's dropped to -7 out side with wind chills at -35. Tomorrow they are saying below zero temps again w/ -45+ wind chill AND it's STILL snowing. So much for only 4-8 inches they said we were going to get.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    break out the snowmobile...
    Nah, it didn't even last 2 hours.
    Altar Arms - 01 FFL (772) 497-6550 - Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    15$ transfers for SHTF Ready members! WE TAKE TRADES!