Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grow herbs indoors

For the Love of Cats

Grow herbs indoors

From here, but without all the ads:

http://www.askaprepper.com/grow-herbs-indoors/

Fresh herbs should be a priority for every survivalist. They are great for flavoring foods but they are also packed with vitamins and some have medicinal uses. Herbs grow like weeds outdoors in average to sandy garden soil but conditions might not always be conducive to outdoor growing. Animals might eat them, other people may help themselves to them or maybe you just like the convenience of having them indoors. As long as you can provide enough light, growing herbs indoors is easy to do. You can buy seedlings or start them from seed.

What you will need:
    -Seed-starting container (flats, pots or even re-purposed plastic containers)
    -Houseplant potting soil (average garden soil does not drain quickly enough for container plants)
    -Coarse builder’s sand or vermiculite
    -Herb seeds
    -Pots with drain holes in the bottom
    -Fluorescent lights for low-light conditions
    -24-hour plug-in timer

How to start seeds:
    Prepare the container. Soak used containers in disinfectant for 10 minutes after washing them with hot, soapy water. Soak new, porous terra cotta or clay pots in fresh, clean water for 6 to 8 hours so that they don’t suck the moisture out of the seed-starting mix.

Mix course builder’s sand or vermiculite with houseplant potting soil for a half and half mixture.
    Pour the seed-starting mix into the container. It should be about 2 inches deep.
    Moisten the mix with water. Use distilled water or tap water that has been aged for 24 hours in an open container.
    Sow the seeds 2 to 4 inches apart in the pre-moistened mix. Planting depth varies, depending on the herb. Most should be covered with no more than 1/4 inch of mix.

Put the container in a zipper-close, clear plastic bag and seal it shut or seal the container with a lid. Use a clear lid so you can easily see the new sprouts. Set the container in bright, indirect light.
    Check the mix daily. Spray it with aged or distilled water from a spray bottle if it begins to dry. The seeds must be kept moist and warm. About 75 degrees F. or 24 degrees C. is best.
    Remove the cover as soon as you see the little green sprouts emerging. Set the container where they will get 1 to 2 hours of direct sunlight after the sprouts are about 1/2 inch tall.
    Continue to keep them moist and warm.
    Related: The 5 Seeds That You Need to Stockpile in Your Pantry

How to Care for Herbs Indoors:
    The biggest challenge you will face when growing herbs indoors will be providing enough light. Outdoor light is much brighter than indoor light. Windows that face south will give herbs plenty of light and they might do fine with a western exposure. Windows that face east will not provide enough natural sunlight and, of course, windows that face north provide no direct sunlight at all. Herbs growing in an eastern or northern exposure will have to get supplemental light. Otherwise, they will grow slowly, if at all, and become pale and spindly. There’s no need for concern, though, if you only have an eastern or northern window. As long as you have full-spectrum fluorescent lights and electricity, you can give your herbs the light they need.

Pot up the new herb seedlings as soon as they are big enough to handle or when they are 2 to 4 inches tall. Each herb should have a 4- to 6-inch diameter pot or you can put multiple plants in larger containers.
    Pour 1 to 2 inches of houseplant potting soil into containers with drain holes. Most herbs grow best in a mix consisting of 2/3 to 3/4 potting soil and 1/3 to 1/4 vermiculite or coarse builder’s sand.

Gently work the seedlings up out of the seed-starting mix. Use a small spoon or butter knife to push them up out of the soil. Handle them gently by the rootball. Do not try to pick them up by the stem.
    Set each seedling in its new container and gently hold the stem upright while you fill in around the roots with more potting soil.

Water newly planted herbs until the water drains from the drain hole in the bottom of the pot. Water carefully, though, so you don’t wash the plant right up out of the soil.
    Set the newly-potted herbs where they will get 1 to 2 hours of direct sunlight. Increase the direct sunlight exposure by 1 to 2 hours every few days to gradually get them used to at least 6 hours of direct sunlight.

If you are growing herbs in an eastern or northern window, set up fluorescent lights so they are 4 to 6 inches above the plants. Use a 2- to 4-bulb fixture with a reflector hood. You can use 1 to 2 full-spectrum plant grow bulbs and 1 to 2 cool-white 20- to 40-watt bulbs. The cool white bulbs are cheaper. Make sure the lamp fixture is adjustable so you can raise the bulbs as the herbs grow.

Plug the fluorescent light fixture into a 24-hour timer. Set the timer to turn the lights on around sunrise. The lights must remain on as follows:

-12 to 14 hours for plants in an east-facing window.
    -16 to 18 hours for plants in a north-facing window.
    -Monitor herbs growing in front of a west-facing window. If they seem to grow slowly or become pale and spindly, -set up fluorescent lights and set the timer so they stay on for 12 to 14 hours each day.

Remember, the fluorescent light is meant to supplement natural light. It is important to maintain the day/night schedule so the herbs get 8 to 10 hours of dark at night. Newly-potted seedlings can be set beneath the fluorescent lights right away but start out with the lights suspended 8 to 10 inches above them so they are not overwhelmed.

Water and Fertilizer
    Rule of thumb is – water when the top inch of potting soil becomes dry. However, some herbs like their soil to stay moist while others prefer dryer conditions. Rosemary, oregano and parsley, for example, grow best when the potting soil is kept uniformly moist. Water them when the top of the potting soil just begins to dry. Basil, on the other hand, grows best if it is kept a little dryer. You can let the top 1 to 2 inches of potting soil become dry before watering basil. Pour the water evenly over the soil until it begins to drain from the bottom of the pot.

Use water that has been “aged” or left in an open container for 24 hours, if you are using tap water. This allows the chlorine to dissipate. You can also use rain water or distilled water and should do so if your tap water is high in sodium. Lots of water purification systems will cause tap water to have high sodium levels. Just reducing the sodium levels by mixing tap with distilled or rain water may be enough. If the potting soil develops a white residue, sodium levels are too high. Either repot the herbs in fresh potting soil or drench the existing soil with rain or distilled water to remove the excess sodium.

Feed herbs with fertilizer diluted to half strength. A balanced fertilizer ratio of 10-10-10 is good for most herbs, although some, like basil, prefer a high-nitrogen fertilizer. High-nitrogen fertilizer will have a higher number listed first in the ratio listing. For example, fertilizer with a ratio of 10-3-3 is a high-nitrogen fertilizer.

Give the herbs fertilizer every third or fourth watering. Always give them fertilizer right after a regular watering. Never give herbs fertilizer before watering them.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

T you just keep hitting some good topics. Herbs are an important item to have. Medicinal more than food IMO.

Still growing mine. Been a learning experience.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

For the Love of Cats

What are some of the things that you've learned GM2? The good and the bad...

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

may be in trouble

Spice type herbs will be useful post shtf as a trade good.

Given that this country was "found" in the hunt for an alternate route to China and India for the spice trade...

Don't over water, easy to do. Check for moisture almost a full finger depth in soil. Over watering can cause mold.

Mint and sage are more like a short bush. Wait till they would fill a quart jar upside down over them before beginning to take leaves. (Rough volume and leaf mass guess)

Horseradish gets more flavor the longer it is exposed to air (Max about 5 hours room temp) it cannot be canned. DO NOT swamp it with vinegar when you puree it or else it just tastes sweet. (Weirdest thing ever, no heat just oddly sweet, still good though)

Cilantro should grow about 6-8 inches before cutting and never cut low enough that no leaves are left on each stem or the top 1/3, whichever is safest.

Chives are still confusing the heck out of me. I think the seeds I got were sub par. They grew really slow and half the seeds didn't sprout and when they did they got to proper height and turned brown instead of bolting.

For the Love of Cats

Hey gm2, Why do you say not to can horseraddish?

I'll most likely shit myself

Gm2 what kind of system are you using to grow the herbs? Aquapoincs, or hydroponics?
    Good info your putting out regardless.

BP, im using a very advanced system called "whatever containers I could find in the in-laws garage with potting soil from Walmart"

It's very cutting edge. Mostly I just wanted to try it out inside now that I have some room. I may do something else next year.

Sniper. To can horseradish requires at least some heat. And everything I have read says that it destroys some acid in the root and makes it go bad very quickly.

My solution was to take off the pieces I wanted to grow, plant them, take off what I wanted to prepare and do so,, then put the rest in a bucket of damp same in the basement to keep it cool and let it hibernate.

For the Love of Cats

Hmm, the reason I question, is because I have canned it before and it turned out amazing...

2 cups grated horseradish
    1 cup vinegar
    1/2 tsp course salt.

pureed and water bathed for 10 min.

The root I had was insanely hot to start, and the canned version was definitely milder, but it still had more than enough kick for most people.

Thoughts?