Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gardens

I'll most likely shit myself

Got them from totally tomatos. Never tried them before but I have tried a couple of Russian types, they tolerate. Old temps better generally are much faster to bear. So I can plant them early and later. Hope these have a good flavor.
    The Anna Russians are one of my favorites now. Very tasty and cans up fairly well to. But a wonderful fresh tomato.

Got a lot of stuff planted the last couple days. Friday I planted over 200 onions in the garden and well over 100 more in flower pots to grow for green onions. Saturday I planted cabbage and broccoli in the garden. Also put out lettuce, arugala, and spinach in pots to grow on the deck for easy harvest for supper.

Found this article tonight. Planting plants with a match or two in the hole. The matches has multiple micro nutrients that the plants love. It's a short read. I am going to try it this summer and see what the results look like.

Walking on Sunshine

bp, Do you have a link to the article? Sounds like something we can do in the boxes TIA (Thanks in advance)

I thought I had added the link. Sorry about that.

https://www.askaprepper.com/why-you-...ur-plant-pots/

Walking on Sunshine

Got it Thanks.

Back in the winter I signed up to participate in seed trails with Baker Creek seeds. A couple weeks ago they sent me 5 packs of seed, radish, sweet onion, tomato, gourd, and cabbage of type I had never heard of or grown before. It included a letter with what reporting information they were looking for and how many of each they wanted. Most seed packs had at least 2-3 times the number needed to meet their needs.
    I planted everything today, except for the radishes. They will go straight in the ground. I put the trays I planted on heat mats with covers of the trays and started the heat. By tonight they had reached about 78 degrees (where I set the thermostat at), so I'm off and running.
    I also took the opportunity to plants 3 kinds of watermelon, butternut and acorn squash, pumpkin, and parsnips in another tray. I normally plant all this in the ground, but I thought for my first shot at planting seed in trays I might as well give these a shot to. I can still direct seed if they don't work out. But I want to give this some time and learn from it. At least it will expand my options in the future and almost certainly will help with succession planting, for fall crops in particular.

I also decided to try and technique I ran across on youtube. I got a couple of 5 gallon buckets, drilled series of hole sin the bottom for drainage, put about 4" of a mix of peatmoss, topsoil, and compost. Then layed a couple of nice Yukon Gold taters with some nice eyes on them. Then cover the taters with more mix to within 3" of the top of the bucket and watered them well.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Last 2 weeks: had 7000 lbs of milsap 4"x6"x varying lengths from 10-36" chopped stone delivered to my house, put down 3 layers of 20 year high grade weed barrier in a 32 x 16 area. Built a 30'x3'x18" drystacked (mortared on back edge so it looks like it's not mortared) and a 20'x4'x12" raised bed. Installed pvc piping and risers for the distribution manifolds for a micro sprinkler 5 manifolds = up to 40 micro sprinklers, drip lines, or spike bubblers. On Thursday I had 6 yards of really nice certified weed-free garden soil delivered, and filled the beds. Today I sod stapled all the seams on the walkways between beds, and installed landscape timber borders, also built 3 teepee style bean towers out of large tree branches I had been saving. Today we also planted bush beans (3 kinds) lettuce, white and pink celery, yard long Thai purple beans, and white cucumber. This week if the weather holds out, I'm having somewhere around 2000 lbs of washed pea gravel delivered for the walkways, and Wednesday I'm getting a pair of used wine barrels delivered to make them into flower planters at the corners of the garden area. The configuration of the micro sprinklers will be determined when everything is planted, but the plumbing is ready to go. I refreshed the soil in all of my pots, and got a few more ready to plant. Also planted 4 kinds of hot pepper in large pots, and doubled my Pequin peppers which we use a lot of, they're hard to find, and we saw some at a plant sale and snapped them up.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Wow AK. Sounds like you've put a ton of work in on all that. I bet you'll see some good results from all of it. In particular when you get everything dialed in to it's top production.