Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coin experts?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Coin experts?

My dad recently passed and he has a coin collection. My brother and I know nothing about coins. How do you get a value on them? Doesn't feel safe or right to drop them off with someone that is a expert that I don't trust. Still don't feel like going through them just yet, but need to start figuring out something.

Some where valued in the early 80's, but not since. Just a few that I went through real fast.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

the silver dollar is worth more than the $60 that's marked ....

Thanks. Going to be hard for me and my brother to split his collection up evenly.

Honestly it would probably be best to take them to a large city to someone who deals in them professionally.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

I'll most likely shit myself

Thats some nice coins for sure.

Back when I first got serious about coins, there was a couple magazines that had lots of info in them. Coinage being the best one of them IMO. But once the Inet took off things change so quick a monthly magazine could be very late with info. I haven't kept up much lately, I just buy stuff I like when I find at what I feel is a decent price. Like ammo, I never sell so I really can't help much there.

Thanks guys.

may be in trouble

Use a bonded and insured numismatist. Photograph everything front and back before you hand the stuff over, and get an itemized appraisal. That "04 Morgan is surely worth more than the $60.

Understand... I'm the coin metal guy, not the coin rarity guy. That selfsame nice '04, to me is approximately 26 & 2/3 grams of 900 fine silver (900 fine is 90% silver. Sterling is generally 92.5%, or 925 fine. The present American Eagles minted out as West Point are 999 fine, and the Canadian Maple Leaf is 9999 fine, respectively 99.9% and 99.99% pure silver.). in short, I'm the barbarian who finds the value in the smelting ladle, not the Danson collector's album or Gray Book.

I'll most likely shit myself

Keepist is right. Catalog everything in detail, before showing them to anyone. Insured and bonded is a great place to get real time info.

For the Love of Cats

To take this to another level... Photograph EVERYTHING front and back, and take the photos in to multiple large dealers... They will want to see the coins in person, but would be able to give you some numbers based on the photos. Take the coins in to those that seem reasonable, in small batches... don't take all in to one and leave them.

Also google coin dealers, there are bunches of them out there... google the coins themselves... know what you have before you take them in.

Trust no one.

imo

T.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    As a coin expert myself, I can tell you they are quite fake. Just send them to me, and I’ll see to it they are all disposed of properly. No need to thank me, just doing my part to help a fellow ant.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.