Thread: racoon foot traps..put out and baited..

racoon foot traps..put out and baited..

Been getting tired and disgusted with the local raccoon and also possum population coming up on my new deck and helping themselves to the food for the outdoor cats.

Saw three large possums out there when I opened the door the other night.

Hence today I put out three of these traps....and baited them with a marshmallow each.

https://www.amazon.com/Powder-Coated...gateway&sr=8-3

So far I've not caught any local cats or other pets in these traps..but want to be very careful should I catch a skunk...not good.

Plans are to put them down with a .22 short from my Rossi pump rifle. .22 shorts are as quiet as a pellet rifle in this application. I will definitely not be trying to live release them from the trap.

I think this is a new bunch which have moved into to the territory after clearing out so many of them a couple of years back.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Those traps are fantastic. I use them up here and it catches all kinds of nuisance animals, skunks, possum, and raccoon.

Any time I caught a skunk I just shot it and left it till after it rained.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

I'll most likely shit myself

Good lookin traps. I might pick up some of those.

Went out and checked the traps early this morning as the day was breaking. Caught one teen sized Raccoon and put him down with a .22 short.

Using the inverted bag technique we use at work...and a large contractor yard type bag..I was able to drag the carcass into the bag with out touching the animal. Then the bag was spiraled and tied into a knot.

I took the bag to one of the local apartment dumpsters I also use when I forget to put my trash to the curb for pickup.

Have the trap reloaded with another marshmallow and placed back by the garage.

Will check it and the other two traps early in the morning.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Orangetom

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Why would you be worried about touching the racoon? I just grab the by the tail and throw them in the back of my side by side, then throw them in the pile where I put the rest of the critters I killed.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Why would you be worried about touching the racoon? I just grab the by the tail and throw them in the back of my side by side, then throw them in the pile where I put the rest of the critters I killed.
    It is a conditioned/trained habit from work where we handle U235 and it's contaminated by products. The inverted bag technique is one of the methods used to prevent contamination.

Also I put these carcasses in the back of my car....and took them to the dumpster...not always my truck.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite