Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home solar system on grid

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Home solar system on grid

Are they worth it? Had a guy come out the other day and give me a bid. 14500 purchase price, 4350 in rebate, so total cost 10150 bucks. soar electric (PV) system 6450kw dc (6.213kw AC) producing 10,105 kWhr/year. I have the cash, just wondering if it will actually put out close to this or not. I think it is 21 of the Mission Solar 305w panels, or for or for 1900 more we can go with the LG 335w module panels and add 950 kWh a year in output.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

Following this thread. Closely I am considering putting g in a small system here to run a handful of things on. But likely not grid tied.

For the Love of Cats

also following... personal solar farms are popping up all over around here... looking for facts
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Hello, since you didn’t mention any batteries, I’m guessing you are talking about a grid tied system. Living in Texas, without knowing for sure your exact location, I’m guessing you will get a majority of sunny days versus cloudy days. I know out national power grid is separate from Texas’s power grid, so I’m not sure how reliable your grid is. That is something you need to take into consideration. And how much your power costs is something to think about. Has your power company raised their prices lately? If they have, will it be likely to go up again soon? And if not, are they going to soon?
    Is peace of mind a priority, knowing no matter what happens, today’s power will be there, along with the same cost, day after day after day. No matter what your power company does or charges, you are fixed in.
    Do you have others in your area that have significant amounts of panels either on the roof or in other configurations. This could make your place a target in a SHTF situation if you are the only one with power and lights? Do you plan to bug in, or bug out in a SHTF situation? If you plan on bugging out, that’s a huge cost to leave behind.
    I know this is not what you are asking about as to if they are worth it, but they are questions others need to ask themselves when considering a solar array.
    Does the price include the inverter? Do you know what company makes the inverter? All those panels don’t mean squat if the inverter is inefficient or broken down. They can cost several thousand dollars to replace. In my humble opinion, the name brand of the inverter is more important than the name brand of the panels. Make sure your inverter comes with a good warranty.
    Also check out the company who will install the system, make sure they are insured and bonded. And if you are putting these on your roof, check your roof. Do you need any repairs to it, or possibly needing to replace the entire roofing shingles within a few years. If there are panels on the roof, they will need to come down just to fix the roof.
    Hopes this helpes you or anyone else thinking about installing solar panels.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

The inverter is a SMA American SB6.0-1SP-US-40 (240V) Yes we get way more sun than clouds. No batteries the guy told me to wait at least another year, he is expecting battery prices to drop more soon. My grid is pretty reliable now, but used to be bad. The power company here does not pay worth a crap, so he recommend we not get a system that produces more than we use. I am not worried about the panels on my roof, no one can see my house except from a airplane, or from my front yard, and there is no public access for over a half mile .

SMA puts out some quality products if my memory serves me correctly. And the solar panel output is about right. So, I’m going to go out on a limb here, and be the first one on here and give you my blessing. But if it turns out to be a bad deal further on down the road, remimber I was the first one to say don’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    SMA puts out some quality products if my memory serves me correctly. And the solar panel output is about right. So, I’m going to go out on a limb here, and be the first one on here and give you my blessing. But if it turns out to be a bad deal further on down the road, remimber I was the first one to say don’t do it.
    LMAO, thanks man. We had some hail damage on our roof, so waiting for the adjuster to come out and see what is going on. After we put up a new roof, we will probably get the system. Still concerned about the wording of the solar tax refund.

I'll most likely shit myself

Dig into the tax benifits. Not sure about Tx, but other than the feds Tn doesn't do much to help. Other states add on, and even some energy providers do. Get all you can with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Dig into the tax benifits. Not sure about Tx, but other than the feds Tn doesn't do much to help. Other states add on, and even some energy providers do. Get all you can with it.
    Nothing other than the fed tax benefits. Texas offers nothing.

Nothing...than you shal receive it...in abundance.