Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for a medium SHTF event?

Walking on Sunshine

Tried to post earlier , it may show up a few times Sorry in advance. I sat and thought hard an long. I would say I'm a solid 4. Not where I wanted to be but life happened and keeps happening. Food and medical acquisition doing good, though I need to up the water. Been watching a few U Tube vids. Came across a guy who made 100 hour candles. Used what he called a pint jam jar with the lid,a 6" candle and solid Shortening, NOT LARD, he was specific about it.Once he got it made, he lit it and put it out in his playhouse to see how long it would stay lit. Darn thing went over 100 hours, think he said he got 120 hrs from it. Looks like I have a project for Gifts for the family. Getting the knitting out, need to get blankets,etc made.Working with the VERY limited budget, still trying to figure out how to do solar for the house. I swear every time I think I'm doing good on putting aside money, something else goes wrong. HEY,pray that I win the lottery or at least enough money to do the solar and wind I want LOL

For the Love of Cats

Ok, so I too have been thinking hard about this, and have come up with two answers, the second of which, terrifies me!!!

Scenario 1:
    I am at home at the time, and all is good. I would say a decent 8.5
    I have the firepower and skills to defend against the onslaught of sheeple pouring out from the city, who may decide to venture down my gravel road looking for easy pickings... but I lack the manpower to defend it 24/7. I have a core group of neighbours that will join in, but we would still be run ragged. I also lack the resources to maintain guard at night. almost all 'night vision' everything is illegal in Canada. The plus side to this is I live in a really dark corner, so anyone traversing, would need flashlights.

I am well set with food, both on hand and for growing/preserving in the future; with or without power.

Water, I have plenty (150,000 gallons w/in 20 feet of my house; and the means to purify that amount a dozen times over. I also have the means to channel alll rainwater that hits my house to refill. Winter... snow/ice melts to make water.

Fuel... I can bump this up, but have the means to both heat my home, and cook for eons, using firewood, which I have in abundance.

Scenario 2:
    At best maybe a 0.5!
    I am travelling a lot for work, so if I am not in downtown Toronto, I am here... in Mexico City, 15 minutes North of Downtown.

As a non spanish speaking gringo, in a crisis situation... Not good. I would do a midnight raid of the kitchen/pantries of the hotel, and stockpile as much as I could in my room, and I have scoped out the maintenance shop so I could steal enough supplies to fortify... at least for a while, while I waited until the masses killed each other off.

That said, I am still a gringo roughly 2500 miles from home, and needing to pass through some mighty dangerous territory, both in Mexico and in the USA.

Given this, why do I say 0.5, instead of 0.0???

JUST FUCKING BECAUSE!!!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post

That said, I am still a gringo roughly 2500 miles from home, and needing to pass through some mighty dangerous territory, both in Mexico and in the USA.

Given this, why do I say 0.5, instead of 0.0???

JUST FUCKING BECAUSE!!!
    Make it to Latexo, Texas on your way by and I got your back.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Bacon saver

And if your route happens to take you through TN. Well we got ya covered here as well brother!

Now what do I give us? Maybe an 8. I have pretty much everything covered, except Murphy. Therefore there will never be a Level 10. I've had too many things go wrong in my career and life to say anything with absolute confidence. Can we make it a year, yes, in theory. Would we? Hell who knows but we'll give it a run for the money. Joining forces and a united front, no one can never really go it alone when the shit goes down. I can't cover 360 degrees, someone's gotta have my six! That's why we have dogs too.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Make it to Latexo, Texas on your way by and I got your back.

Thanks Brother! I am thinking the best plan for egress would be to make it to the coast, say NE from MC, and from there beg, borrow or steal a sail boat. Not sure about sailing all the way up to Canada alone, but a jaunt up the gulf would certainly be doable!

BWRR, not sure if Tennessee would be on the path, but if it is, I appreciate the offer!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

Well IF the path comes by mid Michigan, you're welcome to stay with us. OR if you can make to GA, I'd make sure Son 1 would put ya up.

I'll most likely shit myself

If your headin the other side of Tn from BWRR, you are always welcome at our place.

For the Love of Cats

Gotta love the camaraderie and support on this site!

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    [QUOTE=Brownwater Riverrat 13;96308]And if your route happens to take you through TN. Well we got ya covered here as well brother!

Now just wait a cotton pickin minute here pilgrim. The word on the street has it that dogs of the feline persuasion have a perculuar habit of disappearing up in the northern parts of that foreign country called Canada. As my sources in the lower country on the other side of the wall tell me that certain hooligans have come across the border just to lick their fingers while dining on BBQ, (dare I say it) Puss Puss. Now, Brother (yes, that is my nobile trusted friends name) still goes out to patrol the perimeter of our estate everyday, rain or shine, heat or cold, at the ripe age of 16. Dedication like that goes without saying, a more trusted member of my team there has never been. We each have each others back. So I for one say for your own safety, you might want to consider taking a wide, very wide infact, detour around Lynchburg TN, unless you wanted to know what it’s like to face Brothers Claws of death up close and personal...just sayin.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

For the Love of Cats

Mmmmm, dog would be a nice change from cat... haven't had that it a while now.

Here brother, here brother...
    have a nice juicy steak, brother...
    good boy, now just be steady...