Thread: Truly effective

Truly effective

So, after the last post about the short term grid down event I've started to be more cynical in my view of my own preparedness.

I know a lot of you are no spring chickens but how do you deal with prepping in regards to physical impairment or disability? Being realistic about your own personal capabilities is a major aspect. I understand that gauging your own skills is subjective but how about your ability to hoe 3 heavily weeded acres of crops in a day? (Average gathered of an 18yo Amish kid locally) Gunning for the opposition is a good stance but learning to grow is just as important.

I know it's a tough topic but I appreciate anyone who contributes.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I am 45, so still young enough to work all day. Hoping by the time I am older, that my boys are both living on the property. I feel that I can do anything now that I could do at 18. Not sure how long that will last, but for now I am good.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

the answer in most cases is exactly the same as currently - you "hire" day labor - you provide the tools & supplies necessary for the job - they have the "skill" or just brute labor for the job >>> payment in a SHTF would be something of agreed barter ...

and you wouldn't necessarily bring in help because of your inadequacy to accomplish the job - there's the matter of multiplying labor and time and then cutting down the job thru expertise ...

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm 58 and over the past few years have noticed my stamina isn't what it was years ago. On top of that I've got 2 herniated disk in my back. Most days I can do most anything I ever could, just not for the same duration. But when the back is acting up I'm pretty useless. It's hard to even put on shoes. Luckily that has been pretty rare. I do think if I was doing nothing but working around here and depending on what was raised to live on, it wouldn't take long to get in a better groove with everything.
    So hoeing 3 acres in a day ain't gonna happen. But growing crops don't require you to hoe the entire crop at one time, or even plant it for that matter. But if you spend time in it most everyday doing some stuff, it'll stay worked plenty good enough. And it'll leave time to do other chores as needed as well.
    Excellent topic. I am interested in what everyone else has to add.

For the Love of Cats

I was going to say what BP said. the Amish kid hoes 3 acres a day because he can, and because he needs to. you have to be realistic... how many acres of crops are you going to need in shtf? how many people are you feeding? How much do you need to put up?

Also, instead of hoeing, can you put some plastic/tarps/mulch/anything down between the rows to inhibit weed growth? that will cut down the amount of hoeing required to just around the plants.

If you can work it for even a couple hours each day, you'll keep it under control, without killing yourself, and still have time to do other things. Remember, that Amish kid has one job... hoe the field; you on the other hand will have many.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Totally agree Sniper. But the amount of land you grow on will depend a lot on how many is eating out of it. If your growing food on three acres (assuming just average land) you can feed a good crowd of people. Now this is assuming no animals, or at least nothing more than chickens or ducks, are raised on it. Cattle can require an acre per head on average land and 25-50" of rain per year. But just looking at crops on three acres, your going to have help keeping it worked, while others are gather wood, water, security, what ever else might be needed. Feeding 2 people could be grown on 1/2 acre easily enough.
    Keep in mind though that you need to leave ground fallow every few years and keep cover crops going to replenish the nutrients in the soil. Right now I try and do a 3 year rotation. I also grow cover crops at least every winter in most years. This is where animals would help. Manure is very benificial. Leaves from trees are another.