Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV-5R

Well BWRR, I am having to delay my studies. I just started a new job and it is taking up the majority of my time.

Once things calm down this summer and my Tuesdays are open again I will start trying to attend the meetings. So far it seems pretty straightforward. Mostly it's just the terminology and memorizing what bands I can use that takes time. The electrical seems super basic.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post

I have also taught myself to program these radios manually so as not to be dependent on a computer program or programming cable should the SHTF or worse. I believe in manual override when I can....self sufficiency …..and not to be too dependent on a lot of tech requiring extensive support.

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB...0783995&sr=8-1

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    BZ! The only way to learn to work a radio is by pushin those buttons brother! At's what this site's all about! WTSHTF you can't rely on computers you have to rely on yourself! I cannot emphasize this enough, be self sufficient.........as I'm tappin away on this keyboard.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Been manually programming four Baofeng UV5 R radios...good grief is it tedious....had to put it aside on occasion so as not to burn out...but I am determined to get it done and not be dependent on a computer for this task.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

So I wanted a way to keep all my radios charged and ready to throw in the truck. I took a larger amount can I had, put a false bottom in that has all my charging stuff under it and then mounted the radio bases on it. Everything can be upright and stay exactly how I want it.

I can even charge it with the lid on and latched

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice set up and only one connection

Indeed....that is a big can...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Bacon saver

I like it, I like it.....at's like a Hunt's snack pack baby. Everyone on the team gets one! Nice set up, KISS
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Hey ...listen guys.....

Not sure if I have posted this information on this forum concerning comms...so here goes...

About the Baofeng radios and also ham...shortwave rigs...

What the Baofengs do is give one access to short range comms...not just in receiving but also in transmit functions.

As I stated..I have both the MURS frequencies and the GMRS/FRS frequencies programmed into mine and they do not require a license. These frequencies can be found on the web.

However....be aware that in a legitimate emergency you do not need a license to transmit on the ham bands....emergencies take priority over everything.

Now...I taught myself to build my own antennas for Short range Baofeng VHF/UHF frequencies out of angle bar and or solid aluminum rod. I can also do this out of that olde 300 ohm flat antenna stereo/TV antenna wire. Also from what is called ladder line.

Gaining altitude with a radio antenna helps a lot in receiving and transmitting.

The upper floors of a parking garage will also help..bearing in mind...operational security.

For long range reception I have my ham radio transmitters/receivers as they will also receive the short wave bands.

I am also in the habit of keeping around three of these receivers...one of them in a locker at work....with a hidden long wire antenna which can be pulled out then stashed back into hiding when I am done..

here..

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-660.../dp/B004H9C4JK

This shortwave radio was chosen specifically because can receive single side band signals....via what is called a beat frequency oscillator...BFO. I like to listen to certain of the hams..and ham nets and they mostly use Single Sideband mode.

You also want to keep back plenty of batteries for this kind of rig and I keep four spare AA batteries in my pocket at all times and another four in my daily BOB/GHB....as they also fit my Mag Lite.
    One should, as much as possible, plan around a common battery type as necessary.

I have spare batteries for my Baofengs radios as well...the oversized 3800 mAh batteries.

I also have this Grundig radio from the early days....but it does not have Single Sideband Capabilities but only AM on short wave.

https://www.amazon.com/Grundig-FR200.../dp/B000083CUA

The shortwave radios give you both short range reception in the AM/FM bands and also long range reception in the shortwave bands...,that is their advantage to me.

The baofeng radios are an inexpensive adaption in a group setting and particularly on large areas/properties to keep in touch. This would be where a base station Baofeng would come in handy ..to keep in touch with people on the outlying areas of the property. There are antenna adapters made for this.,..to hook the baofeng up to a base station type antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/onelinkmore-A...s%2C155&sr=1-3

Nonetheless..the advantage is should one desire both long range and short range communications.

Hope some of you find this information's useful.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

I have made two of these J pole antennas for some preppers out in the country west of Richmond, Virginia and they both have Baofeng UV5 R radios and antenna adapters...

here these antenna plans..from the web...

https://kc7hxc.us/links/radio/jpole/build-jpole.html

They can hit the Richmond repeater on the roof of a bank building downtown Richmond...some 40 miles east of them and I can also hit it at night....from here to Richmond some 60 to 70 miles north west of me. though I am using a more powerful mobile radio on my base station..some 45 watts. This is how we keep in touch on occasion..in addition to texting.

I figure the total crow flies distance is about 120 miles.

But should cell phones go down we have this method using repeaters..as one of the people in this group is a technician ham.

But Ideally ...hf radio would be best and not dependent on repeaters.

Nonetheless there are things you can do and the baofeng radios fit in nicely without breaking the bank and that is to me their very great advantage.

And you can do things to make them more efficient with a bit of knowledge and or experience/thought.

Again ..hope this helps,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

may be in trouble

get the pre-ban variants if you can...

And, bloody hell, it looks like antifa has taken a liking to em as well, the filth.