Thread: Baofeng UV-5R

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a number of these Baofeng radios in 5 and 8 watt models as well as the oversized batteries.

Most walkie talkies..the factory antennas on them are marginal at best..and better more efficient antennas are available for them.

I believe these are designed as a commercial radio which just happens to accommodate the ham radio bands.

I have the GMRS/FRS frequencies programmed into mine as well as the MURS frequencies.

I have also taught myself to program these radios manually so as not to be dependent on a computer program or programming cable should the SHTF or worse. I believe in manual override when I can....self sufficiency …..and not to be too dependent on a lot of tech requiring extensive support.

I believe these radios were cutting too deeply into the American ham radio markets at those prices....hence the ban.

But for the monies the Baofengs cannot be beat and I can afford to loose or get them damaged and not be out a lot of money.

Here is the link to one of my better Baofeng antennas though it is a long antenna..it is noticeably efficient for what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB...0783995&sr=8-1

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post

I have also taught myself to program these radios manually so as not to be dependent on a computer program or programming cable should the SHTF or worse. I believe in manual override when I can....self sufficiency …..and not to be too dependent on a lot of tech requiring extensive support.

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB...0783995&sr=8-1

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    BZ! The only way to learn to work a radio is by pushin those buttons brother! At's what this site's all about! WTSHTF you can't rely on computers you have to rely on yourself! I cannot emphasize this enough, be self sufficient.........as I'm tappin away on this keyboard.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.