I have a number of these Baofeng radios in 5 and 8 watt models as well as the oversized batteries.

Most walkie talkies..the factory antennas on them are marginal at best..and better more efficient antennas are available for them.

I believe these are designed as a commercial radio which just happens to accommodate the ham radio bands.

I have the GMRS/FRS frequencies programmed into mine as well as the MURS frequencies.

I have also taught myself to program these radios manually so as not to be dependent on a computer program or programming cable should the SHTF or worse. I believe in manual override when I can....self sufficiency …..and not to be too dependent on a lot of tech requiring extensive support.

I believe these radios were cutting too deeply into the American ham radio markets at those prices....hence the ban.

But for the monies the Baofengs cannot be beat and I can afford to loose or get them damaged and not be out a lot of money.

Here is the link to one of my better Baofeng antennas though it is a long antenna..it is noticeably efficient for what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB...0783995&sr=8-1

Orangetom
Not an Ishmaelite