Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV-5R

Baofeng UV-5R

So, with the upcoming ban on these things I went ahead and got 6 of them and have a book coming to study for my test.

Honestly I'm just still in shock that my wife let me get them.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

I'll most likely shit myself

I just added a couple to my stock on Amazon Prime Day. I plan to use them as radios for the GHB in our vehicles.
    I know several different folks that have them and have heard ZERO issues so far.

I've just started studying for my tech license. Looks like it will be a long road though

Tech license isn't too bad, General is a little tougher, Extra was a bitch.

Are you using any of the on-line testing sites? If not I would recommend them. Go thru them repeatedly until your passing 75-80% regular before you go for your test.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link.

https://www.eham.net/exams/

Yeah, plus I have some free print offs and a book coming. There are a couple flash card apps for my phone too. I'm doing my best. Electricity is not my thing though.

Just stick with it. You'll get there.

may be in trouble

Looks like a plan. Any of em got more advanced antennas than what Baofeng supplies? It may sound like a small thing, but when you are down there doing QRP, getting all you can out of it may be crucial.

And fergossakes make sure your people know how to run SIMPLEX... In candor I am not all wedded to repeaters the way some are. In a SHTF they may be down with the rest of things.

Completely agree about using simplex for emergency ops. Some repeaters are solar powered, but most aren't.

I have a number of these Baofeng radios in 5 and 8 watt models as well as the oversized batteries.

Most walkie talkies..the factory antennas on them are marginal at best..and better more efficient antennas are available for them.

I believe these are designed as a commercial radio which just happens to accommodate the ham radio bands.

I have the GMRS/FRS frequencies programmed into mine as well as the MURS frequencies.

I have also taught myself to program these radios manually so as not to be dependent on a computer program or programming cable should the SHTF or worse. I believe in manual override when I can....self sufficiency …..and not to be too dependent on a lot of tech requiring extensive support.

I believe these radios were cutting too deeply into the American ham radio markets at those prices....hence the ban.

But for the monies the Baofengs cannot be beat and I can afford to loose or get them damaged and not be out a lot of money.

Here is the link to one of my better Baofeng antennas though it is a long antenna..it is noticeably efficient for what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB...0783995&sr=8-1

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Bacon saver

Just got done with the weekly drill......we started up again. "geriatric club" as I like to call them. The Baofengs are great, dump the rubber ducks. Uh antennas. I started making my own little j-poles, "throw-n-gos" as I call them. They work pretty damn good. I 've manged to hit repeaters as far as 70 an 80 miles away. Simplex at 40 an 50. Strange thing we noticed this past few weeks is the damn things are working on 6 meters. They are designed to work 2m and 70cm. Now distance on 6m has been only about 10miles and I haven't tried to stretch it. It just didn't make sense. NO, I'm not running a Baofeng on 6m, I'm running a TYT 9800. I have a temporary rig set up here at the new place. My "TNG" rig is sittin 25ft up on a pvc pole, zip tied to the shop's downspout. Yeah, do what you have to for now, but it's workin. I'm in Moore county, TN and have worked 2 adjacent counties. I'm sitting in a bowl. Not braggin. I need to go mobile on the 4 wheeler and go up to the ridge and see what I can do.

Back to the topic at hand, GUNNER GO FOR IT! If a Boatswainsmate can do it, a gunner sure as shit can do it. It doesn't even have cartoons on the test and I made General! Repetition, Repetition, Repetition! Slam the tests like BP said over and over till you're passin and then go take the exam. That's how Domey, Izzy, and I did it. Oh, did I mention there was I little "apple pie" involved the night before?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I made the antennas for the handhelds and those were the results from that. The 6meter thing was just recent findings because I needed to throw something together.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.