Thread: Part 2 Micro greens, tasty and very nutritious

Part 2 Micro greens, tasty and very nutritious

Part 2
    Microgreens Are Nutritious

Microgreens are packed with nutrients.

While their nutrient contents vary slightly, most varieties tend to be rich in potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium and copper (2, 3Trusted Source).

Microgreens are also a great source of beneficial plant compounds like antioxidants (4Trusted Source).

What’s more, their nutrient content is concentrated, which means that they often contain higher vitamin, mineral and antioxidant levels than the same quantity of mature greens (4Trusted Source).

In fact, research comparing microgreens to more mature greens reports that nutrient levels in microgreens can be up to nine times higher than those found in mature greens (5).

Research also shows that they contain a wider variety of polyphenols and other antioxidants than their mature counterparts (6Trusted Source).

One study measured vitamin and antioxidant concentrations in 25 commercially available microgreens. These levels were then compared to levels recorded in the USDA National Nutrient Database for mature leaves.

Although vitamin and antioxidant levels varied, levels measured in microgreens were up to 40 times higher than those recorded for more mature leaves (4Trusted Source).

That said, not all studies report similar results.

For instance, one study compared nutrient levels in sprouts, microgreens and fully grown amaranth crops. It noted that the fully grown crops often contained as much, if not more, nutrients than the microgreens (7).

Therefore, although microgreens generally appear to contain higher nutrient levels than more mature plants, this may vary based on the species at hand.

Health Benefits of Microgreens

Eating vegetables is linked to a lower risk of many diseases (8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).

This is likely thanks to the high amounts of vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds they contain.

Microgreens contain similar and often greater amounts of these nutrients than mature greens. As such, they may similarly reduce the risk of the following diseases:

Heart disease: Microgreens are a rich source of polyphenols, a class of antioxidants linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Animal studies show that microgreens may lower triglyceride and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels (11Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source, 13).
    Alzheimer’s disease: Antioxidant-rich foods, including those containing high amounts of polyphenols,may be linked to a lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease (14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source).
    Diabetes: Antioxidants may help reduce the type of stress that can prevent sugar from properly entering cells. In lab studies, fenugreek microgreens appeared to enhance cellular sugar uptake by 25–44% (16Trusted Source, 17).
    Certain cancers: Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, especially those rich in polyphenols, may lower the risk of various types of cancer. Polyphenol-rich microgreens may be expected to have similar effects (18Trusted Source).Trusted Source
    While this seems promising, note that the number of studies directly measuring the effect of microgreens on these medical conditions is limited, and none could be found in humans.

Therefore, more studies are needed before strong conclusions can be made.

Is Eating Them Risky?

Eating microgreens is generally considered safe.

Nevertheless, one concern is the risk of food poisoning. However, the potential for bacteria growth is much smaller in microgreens than in sprouts.

Microgreens require slightly less warm and humid conditions than sprouts do, and only the leaf and stem, rather than the root and seed, are consumed.

That said, if you’re planning on growing microgreens at home, it’s important to buy seeds from a reputable company and choose growing mediums that are free of contamination with harmful bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli (19Trusted Source).

The most common growing mediums are peat, perlite and vermiculite. Single-use growing mats produced specifically for growing microgreens are considered very sanitary.

Big bag of pro mix in the garage.

Not that hard to keep it tidy

Big scooper required

How to Include Microgreens in Your Diet

There are many ways to include microgreens in your diet.

They can be incorporated into a variety of dishes, including sandwiches, wraps and salads.

Microgreens may also be blended into smoothies or juiced. Wheatgrass juice is a popular example of a juiced microgreen.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

Walking on Sunshine

Thank you Metro. Am interested in growing the greens. Can I grow using regular sunlight?

Hi Katrina,

Yes, you can grow them on your window sill. They are very frail so its good for them to be in a controlled environment.
    I believe that they will prefer to be not in full sunlight though. A sheen curtain would do the trick.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Walking on Sunshine

Thank you, I have a window in the kitchen that faces North, doesn't get full sun as the maple tree blocks some of the sun. The poinsettia did well for 3 years there even though there was not a lot of full sun. I want to try and grow some greens for us IF I can keep the the Chipster cat out of them. Miss Chloe doesn't bother any live plants but Chip won't leave things alone.He only does stuff at night when we're asleep, the brat. Although he did get his first mouse the other night, poor thing was beat up pretty badly. Chip throws his toys around, pounces on them and generally beats the crap out of them but doesn't tear them apart. So DH was able to take care of the deceased without any mess to clean up.

For the Love of Cats

Where'd you get that tub? and how often can you plant in one tray of soil? or do you start fresh each batch?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Are you looking at the purple tub?
    I got that 20 years ago at Revy. I think rubber maid makes one that is big enough to hold the 3cu ft promix bag.
    It's a 1 time use.
    I used to chuck all the used mix into my compost bins. But from now on I will toss it all into a 55 gal blue drum and let it bake in the sun till the roots are all broken down. https://youtu.be/SGhbMxtKtnY
    Ralph Waldo Emerson