Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transfer switch - hooking generator to home panel

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I just wired a double male plug from my generator to the side of my house. And then put a 220 breaker labeled generator. Just have to turn off main, turn on the generator breaker and power everything I need. Just remember to turn the main off first. I once messed up, and all it did was overload the generator and kill it.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Bacon saver

I have this BIG FONT laminated instruction book I made hanging on the switch panel and big ass stickers on the plug ins and breakers. So one does not get in "I know what I'm doing big ass hurry" Dont want to light up the poor guy workin on the power pole.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

may be in trouble

Double male extension cord isnt as absurd as it sounds. I'd 10gauge the cable, though, and maybe stick an inline fuse.

A den of thieves err nursing home that I unfortunately once worked in had two separate power circuits. Power outages autoflipped to a generator that powered the "blue" circuit... limited kitchen and all the admin offices.

The maintenance guy showed me the double male rig he had to get power into the "gray" circuit. Since each room had its own a/c-heater, Mike (not his name) would have to shut down a lot of stuff, or you would have ppl baking or freezing... but the Admin folks would be comfortable.

For switchovers, I would stick to plain old brute force switches instead of computer controlled.

you always go with the bigger box - if for no other reason you have more room for the wiring you do use ...

with a few more extra open breaker spots - you can always use them to tie-in some loose extension cord lines for powering up something special for just the emergency ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you always go with the bigger box - if for no other reason you have more room for the wiring you do use ...

with a few more extra open breaker spots - you can always use them to tie-in some loose extension cord lines for powering up something special for just the emergency ....

I believe that code requires at least 2 empty slots in any new box installation.....for future expansion. Even though you can fill the box up later.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I also think that code does not allow a generator hookup without a grid lockout.
    So that it's not possible to turn on the generator connection with the grid still on.

I'm looking into a gen/alt power hookup myself....
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I also think that code does not allow a generator hookup without a grid lockout.
    So that it's not possible to turn on the generator connection with the grid still on.

I'm looking into a gen/alt power hookup myself....

those things are usually simple as pie and idiot proof >>> if there's ANY chance of someone dealing with powering up your set-up besides you or someone trusted & detail trained - you need that lockout in place - hate to be you if your power set-up BBQs some lineman ....

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I agree with everything said. When you have power from a generator or solar power powering to the main fuse box, and you are grid tied, it’s called “ISLANDING” due to the fact that during a power outage, you are an island on your own with power. You must have an automatic shut off to the grid if you have your emergency power automatically kicking in to the panel if the grid goes down, like you said, so you don’t fry the lineman, as electricity will flow both ways.

Also, Square D makes thin breakers in at least 15A that allows you to but 2 breakers into one hole. I have had to put several into my panel as I outgrew my panel quickly. My electric inspector would only allow 5 outlets per breaker. I bought a Square D 40 hole panel, and still needed more space. And there is talk of having any circuit that has a motor associated with it on its own separate circuit, no matter how low the amperage is. They are even putting motors in faucets these days.
    I wired my home myself, but in no way am I an expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few times.
    Last edited by Domeguy; 02-24-2021 at 11:00 PM.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I’ll preach it again, I know I’ve written this many times...but I beg of you. Buy as many solar gadgets as you can afford on your budget. Look on places like Amazon for rechargeable batteries, mainly AA and AAA. Get some small solar chargers to recharge the batteries. But it wouldn’t skimp on the batteries, look for good quality with a higher mAh. This means it will give power longer than a lesser mAh. I just ordered a 20 pack of AAA made by a company called EBL from Amazon. Ni-MH 1100 mAh high capacity. They say they can be recharged 1200 times even when fully or partially discharged. Only 19.99 w/ free shipping...that’s $1 per battery. That will power a lot of flashlights for a long time. Get some solar powered garden lights, usually around $1-3 depending on quality. These will take the rechargeable AAA batteries if you can’t use the solar built in solar panel. Buy some 12V DC powered light bulbs. They are easy to wire up into a string, and can be powered by a 12V battery, which can be recharged by a solar panel. Check out the solar companies, sometimes they will sell “damaged” panels at a steeply discounted price. This may only mean they have scratches on the frame. Spend a few extra bucks on a good MPPT. This is a unit that is the brains of the system. It knows how much solar energy to put into the battery so it’s not over or under charged.
    Just get what you can when you can. The bigger the better, but the smaller is better than nothing...or the dark!

WARNING...AC POWER, WHAT YOU RUN YOUR TOSTER WITH HAS BLACK FOR POSSITIVE, AND WHITE FOR NEGATIVE!
    DC POWER, WHAT YOU POWER YOUR ITEMS WITH A BATTERY HAS RED FOR POSITIVE, AND BLACK FOR NEGATIVE!
    Both powers use green for the grounding wire.

Ps...I saw a few yrs ago a video of a woman using a weed eater powered by solar energy. She had a solar panel in a wheelbarrow facing the sun, movable to get the most sunlight. It was wired to a MPPT then to the battery sitting also in the wheelbarrow. The extension power cord was normal, but instead of the male plug, there were alligator clamps instead to the battery. The female end of the extension cord was plugged into the weed eater as normal. So instead of a weed eater, what could or would you power up. The possibilities are endless. Power tools, lights, electric motors to power what ever you need. Or you could run the extension cord into the house to run what ever you could with the correct 12v. So in closing, where will you be when the vibrator stops working. I’ll get off my soap box now.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Thank you, but I did know about the black/white, red/black thing.
    I would like to put in solar backup here.
    Actually, i'd like to have several of the more necessary circuits on solar full time, so if the grid goes down, I lose the extraneous stuff. Since I understand solar/battery should not just sit and wait.

Our place is a modular, out in the country. So, the first thing that happened was a pole was installed, with a meter, and box. A line runs from this box into the house, to it's box.
    That means I have an outside, seperate box to work with. Currently, it has about 4-6 circuit spots, and it feeds the well and septic, and an rv hookup back on the property.
    I want to replace this with a box having more spots, so I can run my alt power in, as well as feed the garage i've added, and a few extra, for any expansion.

The house is already lit by leds, and my two most used ceiling fans are DC motors, using 1/2 to 1/3 the power of ac fans. So, running that, well, septic, fridge, maybe microwave won't take that much. Maybe run the washer, when microwave not in use.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.