Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transfer switch - hooking generator to home panel

Transfer switch - hooking generator to home panel

A while back I picked up a generator capable of 3,500 watts continuous power and 4,000 watts starting power. I know it is not going to be enough to power all the lights and appliances my wife wants to use at once, but figure that it will give us some comfort and convivence when SoCal Edison can not supply us. Early in Sept we experienced four consecutive days of 112 degree weather, with no electricity, smoke from fires horrible. Our power went out for that same time period. We suffered at night, all we had in the bedroom was a small battery operated fan. Had to take a a freezer full of food to my daughter's house. NEVER AGAIN!

We are going to have an electrician install a transfer switch so we can hook directly into our panel and not have to drag out extension cords. We have our choice of two switches, either 6 circuits or 10 circuits. The price differential is $100 in the two. His installation charge is the same. I have traced out what circuits power various things in our home and we could get by ok with the 6. That would power things like our garage which has an electric opener and houses the freezer, laundry room so we can still clean clothes, stove, microwave and a few kitchen wall plugs, wall plugs that will keep our internet connection and computer, TV, some wall plugs in bedrooms and bathrooms. We would also have the fan on our forced air heater. The 10 circuit switch will power almost everything, though not at once.

What do you suggest? Save $100 and "rough it" or spend the $100 and be totally comfortable?

Any suggestions about having this done?

BTW, I have enough fuel in storage to run this thing for, according to its published specs, about 160 hours of continuous running.

Give me your opinions!

Go with more knockouts....

CC Gray Panther
    More knockouts.

I'll most likely shit myself

Better to spend the $100 now, than find you need something else down the road.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

More is better. You never know what your future needs will be. I want one too.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Thanks for the upvote on the direction I was leaning!

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm thinking about getting some electrical work done. This thread has spurred me into adding a transfer switch now. I only have a small genny now, but want to add solar later. For now it'd be nice to be able to power the freezers, maybe the fridge.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

I agree with others, for 100 bucks, its worth the upgrade if you ever end up getting a different generator with more power.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Bacon saver

And a Cheery Aye Aye, Ha-rumph an all that shit! You'll use them. I'll probably be hooked up to solar by spring unless uh, something else makes me do it sooner. Y'all can figure that one out yourselves.

On subject, I installed one of those at the mother-in-laws. went with the 6. House built in the 40's, small, etc. Just enough for "that" house. Worked fine.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

We decided to go with the 10 circuit transfer switch. It is manual, meaning when I hook the generator up/ I have to select the circuits to power. While I will not be able to run everything, it will operate most of the circuits in our home, though not all at once.It will be installed in January.

Side note, I am visiting my son's family and on Sunday the power went out about 1600 hours and did not come back until around 2330. Where they live there is no natural gas, very little propane use, so everyone cooks with electricity. Our main dish for dinner, by lantern light, was grilled cheese sandwhiches for the main course, cooked in cast iron on the grill.