Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardens 2021

Gardens 2021

So here we are 5 weeks into 2021 and I wanted to get a thread started. As of today I have the following done:

1) Fruit trees pruned. Apple, apricot, avocado & peach. Orange and lime tree trimmed & cleaned. Fertiized all.

2) Got our berries, boysenberries and blueberries cleaned up. Got started on our grape vines. They are all merlot, not really a good choice for our area. At one time I had intended to add some "estate grown grapes" to those purchased from the wine producing areas to produce some of our own wine. Too much trouble! They go into syrup and jam. I have about 5 vines to go to finish tomorrow, then I will fertilize all the berries and grapes.

3) Going to get edible pod peas in the ground this weekend.

4) An advantage to being in So. California, we are still getting a few vine ripened tomatoes! Most are from one plant I bought as a seedling last spring. It is from Burpee and called Better Bush.

That is all, standby for more.

I'll most likely shit myself

I've spent most of the winter clearing out some trees and brush that I have let get out of hand over 25 years. This will open up an area for more sun and wind where we have grown veggies at since we moved here. Last year I built 2 raised beds just below this area and going to build more soon as the clean up is done. Not sure I'll get them all done this winter, but in the end want to have 8-10 beds total. Hopefully I at least can get 4-6 more done before time to plant.
    I still need to prune my blueberries, grapes, and fruit trees. A lot to do and not enough time. LOL
    On the plus side I have got all my seeds ordered and delivered for the year. I'll still pick up stuff if I find something I want. I do need to buy my taters and want to get some asparagus. My first onion slips will be arriving this month and the second batch in April.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Way behind on gardening, but I finally got a box blade, hoping to smooth out our garden area, so we can start building boxes.
    That is, if the rain will ever let up. Our land has been a mud bog for months....
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Fixer how far up Va do you live? North or South of Richmond?
    We been short on rain and ain't that far from you. Starting in November we are right at 5" below normal.
    Good luck with the boxes

Backpacker, you reminded me that I have onions in the ground. We have an area in which the are perpetually growing so I tend to forget we have them!

Thats awesome. Never been able to over winter them here, other than to try for seed. I think they would work in a high tunnel or something.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Way behind, never gonna catch up. Too busy at work, and these early sunsets mess me up I get home from work and pow, it's dark. 3 day weekend coming up, but it's gonna be 13* here on Sunday and snowing or sleet. Wife and I are gonna get out there and turn soil, as well as get the walkways cleaned up asap. New shed is done, and most of the garden stuff is organized so we can hit the ground running, but there's so much to do. Sigh
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Going to get lettuce in today as well as a little kale.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

We are late getting to work on it this year, but are planning a pretty extensive expansion to what we have had previously. Looking at tomatoes, cucumbers, and a few others this year. Next year will be more.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Good to see you on Twitchy. Sounds like a good plan