Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
Floodwater is no laughing matter. I'm guessing your area is pretty flat so hopefully the water ain't fast. Around here with the hills and valleys water can gain a lot of velocity. But most of my route home is mostly rolling, not a lot deep valleys. If bridges are out I have a some marina areas that I would hope to scarf a canoe or kayak to borrow. My direction home would help with that. Going the opposite way would be much more sparce for options.
Most of the Irma Flooding was from prolonged torrential downpours over flat land. The storm surge really didn’t do too much to our area, but with the amount of rain we had it resulted in sheet flow over miles of roadway in some areas. Nothing high velocity, but when you can’t see where you’re going or any hazards you can’t drive through it. We thankfully don’t have any major hills here and any storm surge flooding should recede within a day or two as nothing is below sea level thankfully. Mountains or hills can be very risky with flash flooding.