Thread: Let’s talk packs

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Let’s talk packs

So I decided to pull the plug on a new Kifaru Muskeg pack today for all of my hunting / camping / TEOTWAWKI needs. What are you all using for your different setups?

I needed a new pack that was versatile and could be used for numerous different tasks, from camping to deployment needs into hostile (weather, not people) environments. The weatherproofing hence was a big sell on this pack. Once it gets in and after my first trip out with it I intend on writing a nice review on its pros and cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

I'll most likely shit myself

I use a Mountain Smith lumbar pack as my GHB. Got it set up for 3 days of moving fast. For bugging out I currently have a couple, one is a full frame Kelty Radial, the other is an internal frame Mountain Smith. I've carried 90lbs in th eframe pack and it carried well. Also used it on several week long hikes and had no complaints about it. They are both coated, but I always carry a rainproof pack cover to go over it.

I'm interested in seeing your review.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I use a Mountain Smith lumbar pack as my GHB. Got it set up for 3 days of moving fast. For bugging out I currently have a couple, one is a full frame Kelty Radial, the other is an internal frame Mountain Smith. I've carried 90lbs in th eframe pack and it carried well. Also used it on several week long hikes and had no complaints about it. They are both coated, but I always carry a rainproof pack cover to go over it.

I'm interested in seeing your review.
    I'm definitely excited to get my hands on it. Still trying to debate on if I am keeping my current kit for my GHB, or moving to something a bit larger as I have a long commute to work. I plan on getting one of the rain covers as well.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

My commute is 35 miles with 2 large rivers to cross. I'm just hoping bridges are open.

My commute is 35 miles with 2 large rivers to cross. I'm just hoping bridges are open.
    Ha, yeah that can put a wrench in anyone's plan! If I have to hoof it home from work some serious crap has hit the fan and its going to suck no matter what. A couple of years ago we got hit by Hurricane Irma and the roads were impassable for several days just from floodwaters alone.

Floodwater is no laughing matter. I'm guessing your area is pretty flat so hopefully the water ain't fast. Around here with the hills and valleys water can gain a lot of velocity. But most of my route home is mostly rolling, not a lot deep valleys. If bridges are out I have a some marina areas that I would hope to scarf a canoe or kayak to borrow. My direction home would help with that. Going the opposite way would be much more sparce for options.

Floodwater is no laughing matter. I'm guessing your area is pretty flat so hopefully the water ain't fast. Around here with the hills and valleys water can gain a lot of velocity. But most of my route home is mostly rolling, not a lot deep valleys. If bridges are out I have a some marina areas that I would hope to scarf a canoe or kayak to borrow. My direction home would help with that. Going the opposite way would be much more sparce for options.
    Most of the Irma Flooding was from prolonged torrential downpours over flat land. The storm surge really didn’t do too much to our area, but with the amount of rain we had it resulted in sheet flow over miles of roadway in some areas. Nothing high velocity, but when you can’t see where you’re going or any hazards you can’t drive through it. We thankfully don’t have any major hills here and any storm surge flooding should recede within a day or two as nothing is below sea level thankfully. Mountains or hills can be very risky with flash flooding.