Thread: Flame King 1lb refillable propane

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Flame King 1lb refillable propane

I had the foresight to purchase several of these 1lb refillable propane bottles back when you could get them for about $10 each.
    Saturday evening we had a nasty storm roll thru and we lost power for about 18 hours mostly over night.
    Being the genius that I am, I never did fill up those bottles. I've had them at least 5 years and kind of forgot about them.
    I had enough of the disposable bottles so I was fine. This time.
    So, the reason for this post. These bottles come with what can only be described as a "cage" over the top and screwed onto the threads. After I fill these bottles should I re install the cage or use a screw on cap over the threads. I have both,.
    All comments and suggestions are appreciated.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

not really familiar with what you're calling cages - probably for some rough abuse environments >>> I wouldn't lose them but around the homesite I can see them being a pain ....

I don't use the 1lbers that much since I went to extension hoses for the BBQ size 20lbers - I have always refilled the regular bottles and keep about 25 or so handy for various uses ....
    Illini Warrior

This black plastic thing they call a cylinder cap is what I am referring to.
    Here is a better pic

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I say put on the screw on cap…Might keeps the threads from rusting…just my 3 cents here.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

Well, today I filled up 17 and a half bottles off of a newly filled 20lb tank. I may have been boned on that tank fill then again, some of the loss could have been due to having to vent each bottle to ensure a proper fill.
    The plastic caps fit on pretty snug, so I dont think the threads will rust. Actually Im thinking the threads are brass, so they wont rust anyway.
    I think Im gonna go with your thought Domeguy, Im gonna do it half and half, and when I fill them next time look to see if it makes any difference.

most of the disposable 1lbers are all steel - and the threads will rust in time - when I was a kid and kept using the same bottles over & over -I'd brush down the threads about mid camping season - can't use any lub and the Midwest humidity would kick in the rust ....
    Illini Warrior