Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardens 2022

For the Love of Cats

Well, not sure why, but a lot of my seed plants didn't transplant well, so had to buy some fillers
    , but had a good turnout of most things.
    filling the freezer with tomatoes for canning, and most peppers just about ready.

Canning season shall commence shortly.

had great feeds of peas and cukes and tomatoes and lettuce all summer

going to transplant some herbs inside for the winter, and be time to dig the taters soon.
    Deer snuck through my fence and decimated my carrots last week. disappointed!

How'd y'all do?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Our yellow squash did ok, green beans pretty much failed. Got some okra, the basil experiment did the best, lol. The tomatoes did pretty good, I forget the type, but they took forever to mature, and most split open and the bugs moved in. So, most were picked before ripening. The onions failed. We had maybe a dozen potatoes, the size of peanuts, lol.
    It was clear that the roots went down into the mounds, through the shallow topsoil, hit the clay and were done. While I wanted to do boxes all along, our friend, who actually does most of the work, insisted mounds would be fine. We have very limited funds, he didn't want to spend a bunch on materials, I get it. He finally agrees we need boxes. We have all winter to get them done.
    We ordered chicks in april, 10 each of two breeds, picked for both eggs and meat. All hens. 3 were DOA on arrival, 3 more died within two hrs. We still have the remaining 14. They started laying several weeks ago, one or two, up to about 10 now, so we're getting 7-10 eggs a day.

I'll most likely shit myself

I built more beds this spring 9 total, with at least 2 more to build. Tomatos did great, peppers are still producing, cucumbers did good too. I planted Yukon Gold taters, some in the ground, some in beds. Harvested 3 bushel total. Kidney beans and great northern beans both did good. Onions and garlic did good, but not storing as well as last year.
    Butternut, acorn squash, melons, and cantaloupes were a complete failure as was corn and pumpkins.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I built more beds this spring 9 total, with at least 2 more to build. Tomatos did great, peppers are still producing, cucumbers did good too. I planted Yukon Gold taters, some in the ground, some in beds. Harvested 3 bushel total. Kidney beans and great northern beans both did good. Onions and garlic did good, but not storing as well as last year.
    Butternut, acorn squash, melons, and cantaloupes were a complete failure as was corn and pumpkins.

think you got hit with a vine borer infestation or did the vines wither and die in the summer? >>> I grow an overhead of cucumber vines to give some shade - you could use beans eazy enough on some arching hoops - flowers if you wanted some decorating
    Illini Warrior

I'll most likely shit myself

I don't think the borers ever got started. All the vining crops never got started. Right after I planted and they peaked up we got hit with a several week drought. They never had a chance. That area of the property just don't have access to water to irrigate. Sometimes does great, sometimes nothing. Thats one reason I started building beds.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Still getting 6-7 eggs a day here, we had reached a steady 10, to sometimes 12 a day.
    We're going to try and build beds for next year, the mounds really didn't work out. The constant increase of living costs has put us way behind on projects. I was working 4 days a week, went full time, but it hasn't made much of a difference. Was going to dig out an irrigation pond of sorts, but lower down the field, we have an open drainage we were going to close up, but thinking of turning its lower end into the pond. The drainage collects water from a higher area that kept a roadway saturated, so it gets good water as long as it rains. We already have irrigation via the well, but will add a small 12v pump, run it off a solar charged battery.