Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardens 2022

For the Love of Cats

Gardens 2022

Pre-season is fast approaching, who's planning what?

I'm hoping to at least double the amount I had last year, again all in raised gardens

Going to build a couple more of the composting planters, as they do REALLY well

Going to try planting pumpkins, squash and melons in a small bushy area of my property (30' diameter), but killing off the brush and topping most of the trees, for light, but leaving them tall enough for the vines to climb. Just big enough for a couple dozen plants in 5 gallon pails, yet small enough to fence off from the critters.

Lots more tomatoes!!! All varieties! I canned a lot of salsa last year, but not as many tomatoes as I wanted. I'll have to check the name, but I grew some yellow/golden tomatoes that were fantastic tasting.

been struggling with cucumbers for a few years now gotta figure this out, I get some, but not like the first few years. Gonna completely empty a couple of existing planters and start fresh.

I also struggle with onions not sure why.

lettuces and herbs... yep

I had the most bell peppers ever last year, but still only a couple/few on each plant. not sure how to get them growing better. prob not pruning enough suckers

Disappointed in the hot peppers, didn't transplant well. not sure what went wrong.

Tomatillos. can't find seeds for them, so I saved some from last year, and have a local place to buy plants. Mmmm made a pile of salsa verde again last year, want more this year.

Carrots did the best ever, not enough to put up, but will double/triple planting.

Peas, we just eat them damn things as fast as they grow! lol plant more

Going to try something different for corn, as they don't do well containering. working out some ideas, will post more later.

Keeping in mind, last year was the longest, hottest, driest summer that we have had since I tried growing mushrooms! lol

I'll add more later, as I go through my seeds

Going to find that companion planting thread, make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with some of these problems.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

I will post here over the weekend. Too damn busy right now

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Not sure what to plant this year, still working it out. Last year, our first, failed, but we picked a bad spot, too wet.
    Planning chickens this year as well, for both eggs and meat.

Bacon saver

Bout getting to the point to do gardens/raised beds this year. Also have to build her green house. Almost done with mudroom and sunroom then punchout list. MAYBE I will be able to get to the shop this year???????? Oh! But my deer garden is increasing as we speak in the front pasture!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I started building some raised beds in 2020. Did 2 4x12' beds that year. Changed design some and built 2 3x12' and 1 3x8' bed last year. This year I am working on 4 3x12' and 1 or 2 3x8' beds. I've got 3 built and hope to fill them tomorrow, at least get started.
    I put down a layer of cardboard to knock down any grass and weed compitition. Then a layer of chicken wire to keep the moles out. My beds are 2' tall, so I fill the first 1' with old wood, limbs, stumps, whatever is handy. It'll rot out in years to come and become good rich dirt, plus the rotting wood helps hold moisture better. On top of that I load the beds the rest of the way with mushroom compost. They have produced well so far. Just a learning curve since I want to over plant and crowd too much in the beds. I got a little better last year and will space things out even better this year.
    I've already planted one bed this year. Couple weeks ago I put out about 4' of bed with carrots, about 3' with parsnips, 2 small areas with peas, and 6' of bed with yukon gold potatos. Also scattered some radishes around. And in December I had lined one side with garlic. Garlis is doing great (also have it growing in 2 other beds along the edges), radishes are coming up and I saw a couple peas poke thru today. I also planted a bed with asparagus last year, today I saw the first 2 nice thick spears pop thru. We'll get to eat 2-3 messes from the bed this year. Next year should be wide open for 6-8 weeks.
    I've already got me seed on hand for this year, seed taters just waitin, and first batch of onion slips waiting to go in the ground.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    We alrrady have a small greenhouse, to grow seedlings with. We are a registered hemp farm, but they legalised marijuana last year, and that killed the small hemp farm business. Only larger commercial hemp farms exist now, so we are sol on that. Changing to growing food for us, maybe grow something we can sell, make the property pay for itself......

For the Love of Cats

glad to see people are still growing.. I'm starting seed soon.. will post details

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

My early taters and peas were mostly up. Then overnight we had 4+ inches of snow and temps tonight to single digits. Not got a good feeling about their chances.
    Weather chick said temp and snowfall was bother records for the past 30 years for March 13th. In 1993 we had the all time record on this date. 24.5" was the total from the NWS.

For the Love of Cats

Started some seeds March 13, and planned out where each of the gardens will go. Also ordered some plants through a charity company to support a friend.

Ordered, for pickup in mid May
    Roma Tomato - 6 plants
    Big Beef tomato - 6 plants
    cherry tomato - 6 plants.
    bell peppers - 6 plants

Planted:
    misc coloured bell peppers: 6 plants
    Thyme x 2, basil x 2, dill, parsley.

Need a couple things and will start the rest in a couple days (minus the direct sow to ground, of course.)

planted yesterday:

36 Roma tomatoes, 3 varieties.

planted today:
    36 hot peppers
    jalapeno
    Serano
    Thai Chili
    Poblano
    Habenero
    Cayanne

6 of each

Well my taters got bit Sunday morning at 15 degrees. Snow peas look fine though, as does the garlic. We cut 5 or 6 pieces of asparagus as well Friday night.
    Sowed more peas Sunday afternoon.