Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ENO Hammocks

Premium Member

Just pulled the trigger on this:

Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip: Product Specs -- Hennessy Hammock

Should arrive Wed. I have a friend who swears by them. I'll post pics as soon as I get time to test it.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Hmmm, interesting. Please let us know.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by cwconnertx View Post
    Don't forget to spring for the cupholder attachment!
    Oh, I already have one of those, her name is... umm... maybe it would just be better to say I already plan on upgrading the straps, and if I finish that first statement I will have to downgrade the quality of my cupholder. And I too am very interested in a review of that Hennessy Hammock.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I looked at those, but was considering 550 cored since I always cary a bunch of it anyway. How long are they? Maybe need to9 reconsider.
    I was just looking at my straps again recently. They're rated to 200 pounds, which explains why they were stretching under the weight of my fat ass. Also, I hung a hammock swing with some 550 cord yesterday, looped it through my ring about 20 times, and so far its given about 2 inches under periodic use maybe equaling an hour. Neither option seems adequate to my needs, but either could be used in a pinch.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

As they say, well crap. I thought I had thought of everything.
    Thanks for the update.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

These are easily overlooked data until you climb on it and break a bone. Thanks for the info.

I'll most likely shit myself

Just had a bright (well maybe not so much) idea. I've got a couple of old tie down straps (nylon) that I used to hold a motor cycle on a trailer. They have the metal lock/release system on them. These would not sag with me in the hammock, but would be heavy to carry. tractor supply carries a decent variety of that type strap, next time I'm there I'll look at what they have and report back.
    My thoughts were to wrap the long end around a tree and hook the hook back over the strap. Then take the shorter end and hook it thru the ring on the hammock and pull the slack out until it is a tight as you want it. I don't feel like it would sag but very little if it did at all. Something to consider anyway. I hope I can find something without the big metal release systems that will hold in place.

I have used the Hennesy Hammock and I'll say it is as good as advertised. If you are worried about staying concealed just put it up in some thick brush. Getting a good nights sleep and staying dry is really helpful if you have a to spend a night outside on your hike to get home. Very easy to setup and take down and packs easily into a BOB.

Crotch Rocket

bp, i was just reading somewhere about people altering those for hammock use. Let me see if I can find the info and get a link to it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Ratchet tie down straps are the way to go, if your weight is a concern and carry weight is not. I'm over 300# and have been using the 15' 400# orange ones from Harbor Freight with no signs of stretching or adverse wear for about 2 years now. I camp 1+ weekends a month plus 1 week each summer, so they're getting a workout. If carry weight is a concern, you can remove the ratchet portion and box stitch sew a series loops like the slap strap.

As far as hammocks go, I have a homemade double layer ripstop nylon hammock. A friend that I camp with monthly recently bought an Eno in order to try out hammocking. It looks to be decent quality construction. My only concern is that it's not ripstop material, which will likely be the cause of its ultimate demise. For what he paid for it, I'd say he did alright if he gets 2+ years out of it. My homemade one cost a whole lot more but I have piece of mind that it'll hold my weight without fail and I expect to get 4-5 years out of it.