Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ENO Hammocks

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigma pete View Post
    Ratchet tie down straps are the way to go, if your weight is a concern and carry weight is not. I'm over 300# and have been using the 15' 400# orange ones from Harbor Freight with no signs of stretching or adverse wear for about 2 years now. I camp 1+ weekends a month plus 1 week each summer, so they're getting a workout. If carry weight is a concern, you can remove the ratchet portion and box stitch sew a series loops like the slap strap.

As far as hammocks go, I have a homemade double layer ripstop nylon hammock. A friend that I camp with monthly recently bought an Eno in order to try out hammocking. It looks to be decent quality construction. My only concern is that it's not ripstop material, which will likely be the cause of its ultimate demise. For what he paid for it, I'd say he did alright if he gets 2+ years out of it. My homemade one cost a whole lot more but I have piece of mind that it'll hold my weight without fail and I expect to get 4-5 years out of it.
    details on how to make this homemade hammock...I'm interested.

I hate hammocks... they are never long or wide enough for me and I end up getting wrapped up like a mummy in them. But a point of info you need to remember with any off the ground sleeping device, cot or hammock or whatever. in cold weather you need a minimum of three to five times the insulatoon on the bottom as you do on the topof you due to compression from body weight, no matter what type of material it is (non rigid of course). When you are above ground you will have ambient temp air circulating below you as well as above, and since heat rises the bottom side of your body will chill faster. Some of you live in climates where this isnt an issue and is not even thought of. But it is a very real concern and can result in hypothermia even with a good fartsack.

Crotch Rocket

Ok, I found the info I was thinking of. A user named xxxDarksidexxx over on ZS posted on it. I pm'ed him and asked if he'd either come here to discuss it, or allow me to copy and paste his post. I got the ok to copy it:

here is the suspension system i put together for my double nest.

the straps are 1" x 10' from a set of ratchet straps that i had. the weight limit ( max ) on the ratchet straps is advertized at 900 lbs. SWL is 300 lbs. im guessing the lower SWL number may take into consideration the hardware/ratchet, but im just guessing on this.

the quick links attached to the straps at the trees are 1/4" x 2 1/4". they and are SS, and rated at 1,200 lbs SWL.

the quick links attached to the hammock are 3/16" x 2". they are SS, and rated at 1,150 lbs SWL.

the rings are 1 1/4" ID. they are zinc coated steel and rated at 270 lbs SWL.

all items were purchased locally at home depot and tractor supply company. the small pouch i have the straps in is also from tractor supply company ( 3 sizes for 5.00 ) the straps are in one of the smallest pouches.

the whole setup weighs 1 lb 6 oz accoring to the stren fishing scale, but this does not include my tarp and additional cords for it.

i tried it tonight for the first time in the backyard with this suspension system. i think im happy with it, but i need to get it out into the woods for some longer hang time. i may end up eliminating the quick links that are on the straps. i may also buy some straps from strap works that are a little longer, maybe 12' with a 2" loop sewn into one end.
    These are two of his images on the setup:

Last edited by mitunnelrat; 10-07-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by TEOTWAWKI13 View Post
    details on how to make this homemade hammock...I'm interested.
    You ask and you shall receive. I've made 3 hammocks total (1 for me and 1 ea. for my boys). Here are the docs that got me started...

Quote Originally Posted by dragon5126 View Post
    I hate hammocks... they are never long or wide enough for me and I end up getting wrapped up like a mummy in them. But a point of info you need to remember with any off the ground sleeping device, cot or hammock or whatever. in cold weather you need a minimum of three to five times the insulatoon on the bottom as you do on the topof you due to compression from body weight, no matter what type of material it is (non rigid of course). When you are above ground you will have ambient temp air circulating below you as well as above, and since heat rises the bottom side of your body will chill faster. Some of you live in climates where this isnt an issue and is not even thought of. But it is a very real concern and can result in hypothermia even with a good fartsack.
    My experience is that no amount of insulation between you and the hammock will work because you'lll remove all of the trapped air with your body weight. Instead, you use an underquilt which basically means that you suspend a sleeping bag or quilt to the underside of the hammock where gravity will maintain the loft. It's simple yet more complicated than that so do a google search for "hammock underquilt" and read until your heart's content. I'm using what's called a single or double "poncho liner underquilt" or "PLUQ" with just another poncho liner and/or a fleece sleeping bag (as a blanket) on top.

Regarding comfort, you need to have the proper spread/tension on the hammock so it hangs right and then lay on a diagonal (head on one side and feet on the other) to get a flat lay and not have the sides roll up on you like a burrito. I find sleeping in a hammock more comfortable than my bed. A weekend in the hammock and my back feels better.

The hollow cored insulations do work, but are not very "space efficient" as no matter what type of compression system you have you cant compress them down like you can good down, in which case you end up with a bulky kit. I've seen hammocks where people have sewn in a "pocket" om the bottom side that allowed an easy addition of the "under quilt" you mention. Form me, I find it easier to just set up a bed on the ground using whatever form of insulation I can find naturally, as well as some fire heated rocks.

I'll most likely shit myself

Rat I seen those straps at TS, but I had forgot about this thread. The quick links, or carabiners are a great idea. I think I just got the finishing touch to using mine.
    The underquilt is a good idea and deserves some more research for sure.