Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Cook Perfect Rice, Every Time

Queen of the Doom Room

How To Cook Perfect Rice, Every Time

It's probably safe to say that most of us have lots of rice in storage and we all know how to cook it but my mother used to cook the "perfect" rice and I never knew how she did it. She passed a long time ago but I think I found her secret and I've been doing it for years now with excellent results every single time and not a single grain stuck to the bottom of the pan.

I start with a small shallow pan with a lid, like mom did, not a small deep pot. (You can try it with a small pot, I just happen to have a pan similar to what my mom used so that's what I use.) I use the 2:1 ration of 2 cups water to 1 cup white rice. I put the water in the pan, cover with the lid to start boiling and while that's happening I put the rice in a fine meshed sieve and rinse it until the water runs clear, rinsing out the starch. This helps to keep it from clumping. NEVER salt your water until it's boiling. If you are using a good pot/pan you will pit and scorch the bottom. Once the water is boiling, add rice and a pinch of salt. Return cover. Set timer for 20 minutes and reduce your heat until you see a thin stream of steam escaping from the lid. That thin stream of steam is the key. Not too much and not too little. It may take a few tries to find the sweet spot but on my gas range it's a 2 on my dial (Low-Med. Low) and my rice comes out light and fluffy, with no "stickage" every single time.

It's also not necessary to rinse the rice, especially in a SHTF situation if water is scarce. I do it now because I "can" and I prefer fluffy rice. Not rinsing the rice first will keep it starchier so it may tend to clump but if you get that little bit of steam coming out of the lid it will still be cooked perfectly all the way through.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    I concur with above advice. I grew up in the resturant biz, done some chef work/plenty of line cooks work. I dont like to rinse my rice. i prefer it sticky...the way it was meant to be.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Sorry, the half pacific islander side of me loves my rice sticky! (No need for a spoon this way!)

Rice is going to be a staple in a lot of prepper's diets. I've got a lot of it stored and ready to use. I've been experimenting on trying to find exactly how much rice will adequately feed my family. I don't want them still feeling hungry, but I don't want any left-overs either. I've been using some of my dried preps and rice as experiments in flavor, texture and amount per serving. So far, I have only over-cooked a couple of times. I needed the reminding of how dried food expands when allowed to fully rehydrate. I mix the rice and re-hydrated veggies plus a little meat and try to make a full meal out of it. One pint of canned meat, one cup of dried rice and not even a full cup of say, dried green beans seems to make enough food to feed two adults and two kids for a full main meal.

hey I am so white I glow in the dark but if I cant eat my rice with chopsticks it belongs in soup!

Where's the epi?

I think it depends on what you are having with the rice whether ya want sticky rice or fluffy. Nice to know how to make fluffy rice though. I even like it sometimes when ya leave it a little long on the bottom so it crisps some. Rice is all in the seasonings!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

It doesn't matter whether it's fluffy or sticky. It tastes the same once I smother it in Nacho Cheesy goodness!

Geez........no wonder im kinda pudgy
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I usually steam my rice in the bamboo steamer I use for my veggies, dumplings, etc when I'm using one of my woks. I agree that sticky rice is great. I particularly like it covered with cream gravy with fried pork chops.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    man, reading some of your additives to rice, im surprised some of you folks havent died from cholesterol poisoning by now! hahaha! Im sitting here reading and feeling my arteries hardening up!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    man, reading some of your additives to rice, im surprised some of you folks havent died from cholesterol poisoning by now! hahaha! Im sitting here reading and feeling my arteries hardening up!
    In order for a well oiled machine (myself) to run (or walk/ drive a jazzy) effectively, it must be adequately lubricated (cheese/gravy) and/ or on oxygen after the fact.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.