Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Field Expedient Fire Starting Methods

For the Love of Cats

^
    If that is truly the case then I hope you have spare sets of glasses kicking around!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I always have spares.

I actually have a pair of recreational goggles, like sports players use, in my prescription.

For the Love of Cats

I am blessed with excellent vision... my wife, not so much. The biggest problem SHTF for her, is going to be how her prescription changes year to year. she could get by for a couple years on her 'old' glasses, but there will come a time that they will not be suffice anymore. other than happening to meet someone with an old set that is closer to what she needs than has, does anyone have any ideas?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

How bad are they? Can she "get by" with store bought reading glasses, or are they too strong/weak for her?

If they are too strong, just get some in different magnifications and put them away. If they are too weak, I don't really have any ideas, unless you know somebody with a stronger prescription who will give you their old glasses.

I'm kinda screwed. As I tell my friends, if SHTF, and my glasses get lost/broken, just put me behind something belt-fed, and point me in the right direction.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

You can get the Fresnel lenses at CVS or Walgreens....$3 to $4.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I'll most likely shit myself

I hadn't noticed anyone mentioning a Flint and Steel. I just picked up one over the weekend and will try and get some use in the fall and winter to get profiecent with it.

I have two of the Gerber Strike Force starters, and 2 or 3 gallon sized bags of dryer lint saved, so far. I only save from the towels, clothes have too many mixed fibers, not enough cotton.
    Of course, tinder can be acquired in the field.
    I also have a pretty good stock of US heat tablets.

I'll most likely shit myself

All our bag's, vehicles, and several of our totes have blast match, or some type of striker type fire starter. I also have esbit fuel tabs, hexamine,and vasaline coated cotton balls spread around. Good idea on the dryer lint. Gotta start working on that.

Premium Member
    i'll agree, the bow method failed me as well as a kid, maybe i was using the wrong wood?

alot of times working for uncle sam i used the liquid bug repellent to get the fire going, with a match or a magnesium fire starter, don't know if any commercial bug repellents will work to fuel a fire?
    Last edited by greg48; 01-07-2013 at 08:56 PM.

I've had the good fortune to befriend a 'smith' down at a local campgrounds (70 miles out) he's a 'mountain man' almost his whole adult life (also army trained) he's shown me flint and steel and how to make char cloth how to gather tinder and use punky wood. And more.

The biggest problem I've seen with people and fires is that they try too fast to make them.

Slow meticulous shaving of the tinder getting a good 'birds nest' to hatch your spark on char, and having the wood stack already in place is essential...

The spark is easy. Nurturing that into a fire seems to be the problem for most.

That said I have several spark methods (maybe too many) but flint and steel is my first go to for a fire.

As far as dryer lint I've not had much success as a spark holder it'll burn but I like shaved wood for my birds nest.

Cheers X