Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Expedient Fire Starting Methods

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Field Expedient Fire Starting Methods

Mitunnelrat's mention of using a condom to start a fire (FOUND HERE) got me to thinking.....

How many different field expedient ways do you know to start a fire for cooking/survival?

Matches and lighters are obvious. A flint or magnesium fire starter are too.

Others?

Premium Member

I know a piece of steel wool (sos pad) and a "D" battery will start a fire.

I'll most likely shit myself

I saw a episode of Dual Survival last year where they used the reflector behind a car head light to focus the suns rays onto a pile of dry grasses. It fired up after letting the energy focus in one place for a period. of time.
    Haven't had the chance to try it out myself.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

In my backpack, I have a magnifying glass with a light. It will be used for that too. I also have a lighter, just in case. When I'llbe back on this side of the pond, I'll get something better and reliable despite the weather or light.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I watched Survivorman start one by firing a bulletless brass into a pile of tinder. (of course he blew it everywhere the first couple of tries but it wirked)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Premium Member

Bow drill

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Premium Member

Tried this as a kid but could never get it to work!

BOW DRILL

The bow drill is probably the most effective friction based method to use because it’s easier to maintain the speed and pressure you need to create enough friction to start a fire. In addition to the spindle and fireboard, you’ll also need a socket and a bow.

Get a socket The socket is used to put pressure on the other end of the spindle as you’re rotating it with the bow. The socket can be a stone or another piece of wood. If you use another piece of wood, try to find a harder piece than what you’re using for the spindle. Wood with sap and oil are good as it creates a lubricant between the spindle and the socket.

Make your bow. The bow should be about as long as your arm. Use a flexible piece of wood that has a slight curve. The string of the bow can be anything. A shoelace, rope, or strip of rawhide works great. Just find something that won’t break. String up your bow and you’re ready to go.

Prepare the fireboard. Cut a v-shaped notch and create a depression adjacent to it in the fireboard. Underneath the notch, place your tinder.

String up the spindle. Catch the spindle in a loop of the bow string. Place one end of the spindle in the fireboard and apply pressure on the other end with your socket.

Start sawing. Using your bow, start sawing back and forth. You’ve basically created a rudimentary mechanical drill. The spindle should be rotating quickly. Keep sawing until you create an ember.

Make you fire. Drop the ember into the tinder nest and blow on it gently. You got yourself a fire.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

The source of all known trouble in the universe

For the life of me, I have never been able to start a fire this way. I got burn traces, I got smoke but that is it. I know guys who start one using this method in seconds.

Crotch Rocket

the bow drill method intimidates me. I think because I failed so much with it as a kid, lol... I'm gonna have to get past that this summer and see if I can't get it to work.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

Yeah no luck here either. Tried it as a kid a bunch but I didn't have the patience I guess. I did get the magnifying glass to work though!
    Thomas Jefferson