Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RYO/DIY: How many of you make your own gear?

Crotch Rocket

I have another project in the works. A friend of mine gave me a small hatchet/ knife combo in a cordura nylon carry pouch with a belt loop. I quickly realized it would provide a superior mounting platform for my holster due to its more rigid construction, wider footprint, and thin profile. I got the holster screwed on with no issues, and everyting aligns in a manner I can work with, but I'm now scratching my head on how to best add a MOLLE backing.

My current thought is to buy another tear away velcro panel and use some form of adhesive to bond the two pieces. I don't have the machine capabilities to sew it in place. Does anybody have any recommendations on what might work best for this, or alternative ideas?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

how bout these? Molle-lok

Molle-Lok - Accessory Mount - (Large)
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

hmm...

From the looks of things those would bolt onto my hatchet sheath. I'll have to find out if the chicago screws they have for mounting hardware are compatible. If so, this will be the route I go. Thanks izzy!

ETA: Doh! I just read the last line saying it includes two posts and 2 screws. I missed that the first time around. lol
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 11-25-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

they also sell different sizes of crews if the included ones are too long or too short.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Cool!

I can't wait to get this finished up and mounted now. This addition definitely carries my belt even further beyond the traditional "1st line" concept, but it gives me a very comprehensive package to work from.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

anything to be of service

Crotch Rocket

Mission accomplished! Thanks again, izzy!

Now I just need to stress test and evaluate its effectiveness.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 12-13-2011 at 01:15 AM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

looks like it turned out well. nice job.

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice!

Crotch Rocket

Thanks guys! And yeah, it did come out pretty well I think. Those 'lok's definitely made life easy on this. I'm gonna have to go small game hunting now to get it out in the brush and see how it holds up, but I think it'll be fine.

I think I've effectively gotten the full workings of a BOB just on that belt now... Food/ water, and their collection; fire and light; signaling; navigation; shelter; knife and tools... Some misc. gear like cordage, tape, etc... And the ability to defend myself. The total package is just over 20 pounds. I'll still have a pack to help make life more comfortable, but it'll definitely be smaller and lighter.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!