Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RYO/DIY: How many of you make your own gear?

Crotch Rocket

I got it home last night and quickly found an issue I hadn't thought through. The large MOLLE-loks are longer than my belt accommodates, and there's at least an inch of vertical travel between the two. I didn't consider there's no weaving to lock the pieces together, so, on to ordering small clips now and trying them out.

All other things considered it should work out ok.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

I found some short MALICE clips and screwed those into place instead. Its locked in place now.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I haven't gotten around to making my own gear yet, all in good time though. I've bought some patterns, fabric, and thread, still need to find a good quality used machine that isn't treadle driven at the thrift store. I'm planning to make a silnylon tarp and gaiters to start off. I have lots of leather working tools that were passed down to me from my father, but haven't bought leather to try and make a holster with.

Closest thing I've done lately to making my own gear is adding a strap in the wife's car to hold the stroller upright. Looks factory, I even added the car's make to strap material in red, and passed it through the interior plastic, it being bolted to the structure of the car.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've been adapting things in kydex lately, I made an existing `1 3/4" wide kydex belt holster that has a molded kydex clip with a 45* reverse barb for holding it on a belt into a MOLLE mount, that basically threads thru 2 rows of MOLLE vertically and one row wide, the lower "barb" retains it in place at the bottom, and prevents upward movement, while the upper end is too wide to fit thru the loop going downward, the clip doesn't move right to left at all either. I'm testing a different style as well, which is basically a clip that is split almost all the way to the top of the clip itself right up the middle and the split is widened to make the clip "straddle" the bar-tack stitching between 2 MOLLE channels horizontally, and still extends thru only 2 rows vertically, it uses the same 45* barb at the bottom as the first example. The link below show the photos, the one on the left on one picture is the original, un-modified clip, and the others are the MOLLE options I've come up with. It helps to be a dealer for the flashlight it comes with, I can get stuff to mutilate and "research" I'm going to have a run of OD holsters and clips run for my own personal use, and for some of my customers who'll be using our light with MOLLE gear now that there'll be an easy mounting option available. Not sure I like the 2-channel option, for the simple fact that it takes 2 rows of MOLLE, but as far as the modification, it was WAY easier to get right. Pics below

MOLLE clip mods pictures by ak474u - Photobucket
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

sewing machine

Found a Singer 15-91 with cabinet in like new condition the other day for 100 bucks. Works great, so will be redoing all my holsters and sheaths in cordura, lighter and flexible.

Crotch Rocket

I found this since its something I want to apply to some of my gear myself. My AR for certain... Anyway, I figured I wouldn't be the only one interested in seeing this.
    How to paint Multicam - YouTube
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 02-29-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

^^nice.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Sure is! I think I mentioned this to you before, but imagine our logo in the dark brown as part of the pattern... Totally doable with making your own stencil like this, and I think it'd be a great IFF piece on say, the back of a helmet
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!