Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Awakening

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Slowly the world came back into focus. It took him a few minutes of squinting to realize the crazy patchwork of gray and red was only the tin roof and rusted support trusses of the ceiling above him.

Realizing that he was alive and very hungry the man slowly tried to sit up but nearly tipped the cot over in doing so. Regaining his balance Caddy looked around at his surroundings. He could have been in any number of mechanic garages around the world. Between the tools strewn over the workbenches, the air and hydraulic hoses snaking across the floor and the welding equipment it was clear that he was being housed in some sort of workshop.

Getting his sea legs back he soon realized why he was so hungry. Besides having not eaten in just over twenty-four hours, the steaming plate of pork chops, peas and potatoes sitting near his makeshift bed helped inflame his appetite.

Rubbing his aching legs Caddy looked around trying to get a sense of what was going on. It was only then he noticed the man leaning casually against one of the workbenches.

“Eat. I’m sure you are hungry,” said the man.

Eyeing the food suspiciously Caddy didn’t move.

“It’s fine. I’ll be glad to eat some if you wish” encouraged the man who didn’t seem to have a care in the world.

Figuring that if they wanted him dead, he would have never woken up, Caddy picked up the plate, placed it on some equipment and began eating.

“I’ll have some iced tea for you shortly,” said the man. He allowed Caddy to eat for a while before continuing. “I have to ask, why did you come here?”

Swallowing a piece of pork-chop before speaking, Caddy said, “Told your people earlier. I was here before. Saw military men. If there’s a resistance movement brewing, this is the center of it all.” True to form, Caddy laid his cards on the table without a lot of beating around the bush.

“A couple of ex-military boys making ends meet by working on a farm isn’t exactly proof is it?” countered Miller as he toyed with a hammer lying on the bench.

Looking Miller over to gage his sincerity Caddy replied, “Largest working farm in the area makes for a great base. Those hard working men you mentioned had fake ID’s. You had guards posted on the property when I showed up. The men were careful not to use any names around me. Hell, even this little chat stinks of people who know what they are doing.”

Smiling Miller said. “Lets say you’re right you are right. What are you looking for?”

Chasing a couple loose peas with his fork, Caddy responded, “I have a lot to offer your people. I know your opposition inside and out, can tell you what I know. That’s valuable to your group.”

“Go on” said Miller, continuing to lure Caddy further and further down the road.

“I know troop strengths, patrol patterns, communications frequencies, locations of bases, planed raids. All of it. Inside and out.”

“They’ll change all of those if they figure out you’ve flipped.”

“True enough” said Caddy as he downed some of the best mashed potatoes he’d ever eaten. “But the short term value is high. Gives you a chance to rapidly build strength. Down the road, when they change it all up, they’ll have to do so on the defensive.”

Smiling, and continuing his relaxed pose and demeanor, Miller pressed on. “Marine?”

Caddy nodded in affirmation.

“You didn’t answer my question. What are you looking for?” asked Miller.

“Let’s call it payback. Listen, I can help move your little group ahead in the game by light-years. On top of all that, I’m guessing you aren’t all that big of an operation yet. I know what other groups might be out there. That ought to make growing your thing easier.”

Miller smiled as he got exactly what he wanted. “Sounds like a third-rate movie, but why should I trust you?”

“Because you’re going to watch me kill the owner of Aperture Consulting,” replied Caddy as if he was ordering fries at a restaurant drive-through window.

Miller looked deeply into Caddy’s eyes and examined the man who stood before him. He looked as deeply into his soul as Caddy would allow him. He had no doubt Caddy aimed to kill the man and wouldn’t stop until he did.

“Finish up your dinner” commanded Miller. Caddy watched him go to a side door, open it and have someone hand him a glass of tea and a small plate.

“Here. There’s the tea I promised. Looks like cherry pie was also on the menu. You want seconds?” asked Miller pointing at the empty dinner plate.

Shaking his head Caddy had to wonder where he stood. The man could kill him just as easy as anything. That would ensure Caddy wouldn’t become a problem. Maybe worse yet, they might send him packing. Caddy was rugged and resourceful, but the thought of living off the land didn’t excite him.

“Listen Caddy. Get some sleep. There’s a head over there. If you decide you want more food just knock on the door. Someone will answer it and get you what you need. We’ll have some new clothes for you in the morning and whatever gear you had with you will be returned.”

Surprising even himself, Caddy quipped, “So, did I get the job?”

Smiling Miller said, “we have a few more interviews. You’ll hear from HR in a week.”

As Julie finished up her work for the day she prepared to go home. It was a short drive back to her apartment where she’d likely spend the evening alone trying to read a book by candlelight.

She’d worked for City Hall for a long time, since she got out of high-school really. She started out as a clerk and ultimately ended up as the receptionist/secretary/office manager all in one. She’d seen mayors come and go over the years and, in the recent past a Sheriff and previous group of contractors disappear.

Julie was like a lot of pretty girls who grew up in small towns. After she graduated high school she really had three choices. She could find a man and start pumping out babies, which held little interest for her. She could leave town and make a life for herself somewhere with opportunity and excitement. Caring for her sick mother and father put an end to those dreams. So she took what was behind door number three: stay and carve out her own life.

Being a pretty young woman in a small town isn’t as easy as it might appear. All the fat, dumb and drunk rednecks tried to date her, while the middle-aged married men made crude passes at her. There wasn’t a stock of men one would consider marriage material floating around Shelton.

Her life changed when the Army troops came to town after the trouble in the North started. She thought the funny Sergeant who started giving her a lot of attention would be just another one in a long line of jerks interested in getting her in bed. But it soon became clear he was a hardworking, decent man who just wanted to do what was right.

It wasn’t hard to let little bits of information slip to Lowry at first. Then it became clear he was digging for more. Briefly she was afraid he was just using her in a different way.

When the Army unit moved out and she didn’t hear from him for a while she figured it was just a passing thing she dejectedly let it drop.

She’d just about written the whole thing off when Miller approached her at the lunch counter. All it took was one mention of Lowry’s name and she was hooked. She did everything Miller asked and reveled in the chance to help their cause.

Julie wasn’t all that concerned with being part of a resistance, or fighting injustice or anything noble. It was a chance at a little excitement in her life and to help a man for whom she developed feelings.

“Good night Mr. Werner. Did you need anything else?” she asked.

Werner looked up from his desk. “Did you get the staffing report done?”

“Yes sir, in your inbox” she replied.

“Very well. Good night.” He said as he resumed scanning whatever paperwork he was reading.

The command group had once again assembled in the upstairs room in the Donner house. Empty food plates were scattered around the table as the men discussed what to do with Caddy. They all awaited Millers return from his interview and assessment of the situation.

“So what’s the verdict?” asked Dink after Miller returned.

Collecting his thoughts, Miller simply told them exactly how he felt. “I think he’s for real”.

As the group looked at him it expanded on his statements, “the source verifies that a high ranking contractor is out of the picture and it likely wasn’t voluntary. No wiff of set-up from what they could determine.”

“Doesn’t mean much, but that’s a good start,” offered DeMetrie.

Miller continued. “He laid all his cards on the table from the get go. Basically spelled out what he can do for us. Wasn’t heavy handed about it, was just matter of fact. Offered up the goods on connecting us with other budding resistance groups.”

“That’s all happy horseshit. How we do we know he’s not setting us up” asked Greg.

“He claims I’m going to watch him kill this Werner fella, the head of the contractors”.

Silence hung in the room while people considered Miller’s words.

Dink was the first to voice what everyone was thinking. “Miller, I know you’re a Yankee but you aren’t this dumb. How do you know he’s not setting you up?”

“You think they’d risk their second in command just to real in one guy? So far he’s got nothing on ClarMar other than a couple of guys were guarding the farm and Clarrisa makes kick-ass pork chops. Worst case, they haul me off. Best case, we nail the head of the contractors in this area and link up with other groups.”

Again the words hung in the air. Miller was usually good at making his case. Tonight was no exception.

“I’m not saying I’m sold on the guy. But considering the payoff it’s a risk worth taking.”

Turning to Captain DeMetrie, Dink said, “Captain, Miller cheats. Trust me I know. If anything goes wrong, the Yankee is just going to cheat his way out of it. Hell, it’s what he did the first time we shot together.”

Werner was worried. Donovan had already let it be known he’d be making another visit in a few days and he expected the situation on the ground to be radically different. Attacks, mostly minor, continued on the contractors all over the county. They were making it clear that Werner’s men did not have control of the situation.

And then there was Caddy.

It had been several days since Werner sent him to die and he was still nowhere to be found. It was as if Caddy simply vanished into thin air. Another team had already found the bodies of the contractors tasked with killing him. It was clear he had survived the attempt on his life and like a Roman Cesar seeing plotters throughout his Senate; Werner started seeing Caddy lurking behind every corner.

Werner had already been spending less and less time outside the confines of City Hall since the attack that rescued Lowry, but once Caddy disappeared he didn’t leave the compound unless absolutely necessary. Werner also used the additional twenty contractors on loan from Senator Donovan to bolster security in and around City Hall. The city Hall complex, including the High School soon became a well-guarded and fortified compound.

When he did leave the compound he traveled with no less than two full trucks full of contractors. Gone were the days where he and a couple men would dash into the field to resolve an issue. No longer would he be found in public. He now was surrounded by a dedicated detail at all times.

But what this did was sap the strength of the teams working in the county. Suddenly fifteen or more men were solely tasked with a protection detail when Werner did venture outside the walls.

What further sapped the effectiveness of Aperture Consulting was the loss of it’s highly regarded and talented second in command. Werner just didn’t garner the same response from the men that Caddy did. Werner wasn’t a bad leader but he just wasn’t Caddy.

“Julie,” he said into the intercom, “get all the section leaders together at once. Let me know when they are in the conference room.”

“Yes sir” came the dutiful reply.

He sat and stared blankly out the window. He had to make a big play and he had to do it before Senator Donovan returned or Caddy reappeared. Letting out a long sigh he knew he was in a tough spot. If his big operation failed he’d lose more face with his men. Giving them a paycheck only went so far in keeping his men loyal. Worse yet, he’d have to explain another failure to Miles Donovan. The Senator was not likely to accept another failure.

An hour slowly ticked by. Each tick of the clock sounded like cannon fire as the minute hand relentlessly clicked from one position to the next.

“Sir,” the intercom finally beeped. “They are all ready for you.”

“It’s now or never,” Werner said to nobody in particular as he left his office.

Caddy had been on ice at the ClarMar Farms tool shop for most of the week. He and Miller continued their discussions and on occasions would go for walks around the farm. The more they talked, the more it became clear Caddy’s intention was to kill Werner. Being a part of a resistance movement would be secondary to that aim.

Always careful to keep Caddy from seeing anything of value around the farm, most of the walks included a trip to the farm office to visit Clarissa or a quick meal at the farmhouse with Greg.
    Greg’s demeanor slowly started changing. While he still considered Caddy suspect at best, he at least engage in conversation with him.

Miller and Caddy were on a walk around one of the greenhouses as they discussed the plan moving forward.

“So you’ll help me kill Werner then?” asked Caddy.

Caddy was a very straightforward man. He had considered using his information as bargaining power with Miller but the more they talked, the more they established a mutual respect. Caddy wasn’t able to pinpoint Miller’s background, but he was clearly someone who had a level head and the skills to get the job done.

Miller saw a man in Caddy that could help them both widen the scope of their movement, and help manage the growth. Between the talents of DeMetrie, his men and Caddy they had the nucleolus of a team that could inflict great damage on the contractors. It would also allow Dink to return back to Wyoming and care for his daughter Maggie and Miller’s family.

Instead of holding the information like a poker chip, Caddy decided to go all in. He shared information as best he could. Whether it be about the contractors or the other fledgling resistance groups Caddy held nothing back. He figured that even if Miller killed him, he’d be able to strike at Werner from beyond the grave.

But it had become more and more clear that Miller had no intentions of killing him.

“What do you have in mind?”

“I figure Werner’s held up inside City Hall, afraid to poke his head out. So we’re going to have to draw him out somehow,” explained Caddy.

“I would agree,” came Miller’s reply.

“Right about now, I’m guessing his two worst fears are Senator Donovan and what would happen if I suddenly reappeared. If a report of me being alive suddenly comes in, he’ll have to respond to keep up appearances. That gets him out of City Hall,” said Caddy with an almost sinister calmness.

“Makes sense”

“If it’s too far away from Shelton he might not go. Or if he does it will be a large, organized affair. But there’s a park near City Hall. If word of me wandering around the park in a daze comes in, how can he not respond? And there’s a good chance the response will be a haphazard affair as they race to the scene. Better for us.” Caddy was sharing the plan as if it were a sales pitch to a major corporation to buy sugared breakfast cereal.

“What’s the park like?” asked Miller.

“It’s called Hardee Park. It’s a park shaped like a bowl, with a football field, playgrounds, and a big brick building in the middle. The park is tucked back in a depression and is surrounded on all sides by small hills. Perfect for an ambush,” said Caddy with a wry smile.

Showing no trace of response Miller simply nodded his head in affirmation.

Caddy looked his host in the eyes. “The call comes in, Werner responds, we hit him and off we go. What you do with me from there is up to you. Deal?”

“Let’s make this hit first. Then we’ll talk about your future in the company. There may be an opening in the accounting department,” said Miller dryly. “Lets get a map of this Hardee Park and get to work.”

“Have you lost your mind boy?” implored Dink. “I knew you weren’t right being a Yankee and all, but damn.”

DeMetrie chimed in too. “Miller, this is just as easily a setup as a hit. You two show up, he gets the drop on you and then you’re screwed. I don’t think we can pull off another Lowry-style rescue. Mr. Barnes and Ms. Donner were doing some reconnaissance and City Hall is a fort now.”

Greg couldn’t contain himself either, “Miller. You’re a good man. You’ve delivered every time you were asked to. But this is madness son.”

Miller calmly let everyone share their concerns and get all their worries out on the table.

Taking a long swig on his iced tea he patiently explained what he had in mind. “Let’s say he’s setting me up. What’s he gain? One guy who did nothing but feed, house and clothe him. What can he say about ClarMar? That our soybeans are plotting on the government? That Greg is a stone cold ninja? That Clarissa is an underground freedom fighter by night and farmer by day?”

All of the eyes in the room were now glued on him as he explained his rationale.

“He’s not seen DeMetrie, Lowry or Reynolds. Barnes has a rock-solid ID. Dink will be out of here and heading back to Wyoming before they could storm the farm. Folks, he has nothing on us.”

“And if he just hauls you off for spite, then what?” asked Clarissa.

“He’s not going to do that. If he thinks ClarMar is dirty but sends me to a camp, he loses the one guy that gets him what he wants. Now he’s back to square one and can’t send a plant again. Not easily anyway. Now he just has to raid the place. That’s a huge risk given your reputation in the community. Especially if he lays waste to the place and he’s wrong. That’d be a shitstorm.”

Continuing on, Miller said, “ Besides, he’s serious about killing Werner but he needs my help to do it. Maybe he wacks Werner then turns me in, but I doubt it. And if he does, Werner’s dead and we have the information we wanted anyway. The contractors will be in disarray and we’ll be able to expand the party”

There was quiet in the room as people mulled over the idea. Miller did raise a lot of valid points.

Eventually DeMetrie stepped forward. “It’s risky as hell, but you’re right. The payoff is too big to pass up.”

“Besides,” Miller said with a smile, “it’s not like I’m going in alone.”

Sometimes, as the old saying goes, it truly is darkest before the dawn. After the young commander encircled a modest contingent of forces at Fort Knox he had driven the main thrust of his attack down the Interstate 71 corridor towards the Tennessee border, and the main prize, Nashville. By using the Interstate the armored forces were able to more quickly navigate the hilly terrain that would otherwise slow their passage.

The main attack forces had reached beyond the hilly cave region of Kentucky and were poised to stampede into Tennessee. The outskirts of the capital city lay only 42 miles ahead.

His troops had performed well and he was proud of them. They had smashed through the light resistance and casualties were minor. The further south they drove, the higher their morale went. The higher their morale went, the faster the attack advanced. Soon they had well outpaced their support units and reserve troops.

Sometimes it is good to be bold. Taking risks results in big payoffs. McClellan never secured the prize in his day because he refused to take a risk. The young commander reveled in the communiqué from Crutchfield himself congratulating them on their advance and apparent victory.

But being bold has a downside. You can overlook details; details that may cost you dearly, sometimes when you least expect it.

In his haste he had entirely overlooked the troops stationed and available at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, home to the 101st Screaming Eagles airborne division. It was located to the west of his attack but further south than Fort Knox. While not all of the troops were at the base all the time, they only bolstered the available forces to attack him.

Worse yet, the entire time he was worrying about the troops to the west, the ones at Fort Knox, he failed to consider the ones to his east.

The intentions of Crutchfield’s attack we clear as day and as soon as the President’s leaders realized them they acted. In a rare moment of decisiveness, President Alan’s approved a counter-attack. His Generals combined all the troops recently evacuated from Ohio, Kentucky and the Fort Knox area and massed them around Lexington, Kentucky, a good 60 miles to the east of Louisville.

The substantial force crashed into the young commanders support units in a three pronged attack spread over twenty miles. They simply decimated the support units who were caught in the open and unawares. Since the young commander was using the interstate system as a travel route his forces were exposed and often attacked from the much higher ground to the side of the roadways.

Over the course of twenty-four hours, the young commanders fortunes reversed and instead of rolling into Nashville a victor, he was fighting for his life to avoid complete annihilation.

It was a grueling retreat that would last nearly a week. His forces fought a running battle after they had been cut off and they drifted further west as they attempted to move back north to the safety of Ohio. Soon they were pressed as far west as Owensboro Kentucky. A fraction of the original troops made a crossing into Southern Indiana at Evansville and survivors exhaustedly trickled back into the Crutchfield held territory of Indiana.

The young commander survived, but his attack and his forces simply ceased to exist. Before it was all said and done, Crutchfield lost valuable men and equipment and the battle lines were as they were before the attack started. He gained nothing and lost more than he could afford to lose.

Night had fallen as Dink and Miller talked outside the compound that had become home to DeMetrie and his men. It wouldn’t take a keen observer to realize both men had much on their minds and things they needed to say, but couldn’t find the words.

“Dink, if this goes tits up, you clear out, and clear out fast. You gotta get back to Maggie and my girls. I know Webb’s taking good care of them, but you can’t afford to get hung up down here.”

“I hear you” was all Dink could say.

”You have the map to the boats and the river?” asked Miller like a nervous parent leaving their child home alone for the first time.

“Yes”

Miller stomped at the ground. “Barnes will help you haul the extra gear and fuel over there. Shouldn’t be too hard to load one of the motorbikes into the boat. Once you get far enough up-river, ditch the boat and go overland. Barnes is a good man.”

“You sure you want to give up one of your bikes? Those things are pretty damn handy,” asked Dink Roberts of his friend.

“What are you going to do, walk through Iowa and Nebraska? And there is one other little thing…” Miller’s voice trailed off.

“What’s that Yankee?”

Chuckling, Miller said, “We bought the bikes with your money.”

It was well after midnight as Werner tossed and turned on his office couch. His sleeplessness fueled by alcohol and guilt. His mind alternated between anxiety over the impending Donovan visit, the lack of results his men had generated the past few day and the lingering threat that Caddy would suddenly reappear.

Despite combat experience and all his years at the sharp end of the spear, Werner was genuinely falling apart at the seams. It showed on his face, his sunken eyes testament to his lack of sleep. His hand would occasionally tremble slightly. Nobody remembered the last time they saw him eating a healthy meal.

He had just fallen back asleep when one of his men came in the office and jostled him awake.

“Mr. Werner. Wake up sir!” the young man said excitedly.

Werner clawed his way back into the conscious world as best he could.

“Sir. A call just came in. A man matching Caddy’s description was reported at Hardee Park.”

Werner looked at his employee blankly.

“Mr. Werner. Did you hear me? Caddy might be alive. The caller said the man looked dazed and was stammering around the building at the park.”

Snapping awake, Werner was gripped with the terrible realization that Caddy had, in fact, survived the attack and returned. This was bad for Werner on more levels than he cared to imagine. Worse yet, he had to play along that he was glad to see Caddy return but had no idea how he’d react once Werner showed up. It was bad.

“Send me whatever men are awake right this second and not on guard duty. Right now,” commanded Werner.

“That’s only three men sir”

“I don’t care, send them to me. Once you do that, put together a reaction force and head down to the park. Fast as you can. Be sure the guards stay at their posts here and have another team of men ready in the event this is some sort of distraction,” spat out Werner in rapid succession as he donned his boots.

The contractor was already turning to sprint down the hallway as he replied, “yes sir”.

Ensuring that there was a round seated in his pistol, Werner secured a small revolver and stuffed it in his front pants pocket. He had no idea how this would play out, but there was a good chance one of them would be dead in the next ten minutes.

Gripped with terror, Werner and the three contractors dashed to a parked SUV and tore off as fast as the driver could go.

The driver didn’t slow the truck as he approached the downward slopping entrance to the park. Instead he gunned the engine and drove over concrete and grass in an attempt to speed their response. He was one of Caddies men and wanted to see his boss return in once piece. Grass and dirt shot into the air as the truck tires dug ruts deep into the grass.

All the eyes in the truck scanned the park in an attempt to spot Caddy. They had covered nearly the entire parking lot before seeing Caddy slumped against the side of the brick building.

Suddenly having a sense of Déjà vu, Werner instructed the driver to continue on, overtop the sidewalk, and get the vehicle as close to Caddy as possible.

As the truck slid to a halt a few yards short of Caddy all four men hopped out in unison. The driver barely shifted the truck into park let alone kill the engine. As Werner rounded the front of the truck he instructed two of the men to keep watch.

“Keep an eye out for trouble. Don’t stray from the truck. This could still be a trap,” he commanded.

Caddy sat with his back against the brick building. He was near the back corner of the building which placed Werner further towards the back of the porch. The driver knelt to Caddy’s side facing the entrance to the park. Wearing his filthy gear and disheveled clothing, Caddy looked up with a blank expression as Werner addressed him.

“Caddy!” Werner called out as he kneeled in-front of his former second-in-command. “Caddy are you alright?”

Looking upwards at his former boss Caddy flashed a broad smile and merely pointed upwards.

Werner didn’t quite grasp it at first so the contractor assisting Werner grabbed his arm and pointed to the top of the roof before slowly raising his hands.

Werner finally glanced upwards and blanched white. He was staring down the barrel of John Miller’s suppressed AR15 rifle.

The roof of the small building, like many in the south, was pitched down gently towards all four sides of the building. Miller was lying on his back, on the roof segment facing the rear of the building. With his feet lodged against a horizontally mounted metal ice breaker located near the edge of the roof, he had a surprisingly firm perch. He simply rolled to his side and had a near perfect view of the area below with the exception of the contractor to his right.

That didn’t matter as Caddy had already produced a pistol and held the man at gunpoint.

Between being at a higher plane visually, and being partially hidden behind the ridge between the back and side segments of the roof, Werner’s men couldn’t see him until it was too late.

“Which ones Caddy?” asked Miller.

Werner, afraid to move a muscle didn’t understand the question.

“Rear of the truck” was the answer from below.

Almost before the statement was finished Miller’s rifle barked out a dull, remorseless thud and the contractor standing at the rear of the truck crumpled to the ground. Even being rolled on his side, shooting left handed and being perched on the roof his shot was perfectly placed.

Miller coolly said to the remaining men, “I’d suggest the rest of you stand very still while Mr. Caddy gets to his feet”.

The reaction force was just around the corner, barreling towards Hardee Park. The driver pushed the truck as hard as it would go and the men in back held on tightly as they bounced through the narrow streets leading to the park entrance.

Suddenly their radios came to life. “This is Alpha 1, do you copy?” The voice was undeniably that of Werner’s.

“Roger that Alpha 1”

“Look for our truck at the small building in the center of the park. One man down near rear of the truck. Caddy is in the men’s restroom. Rest of team is pursuing troublemakers to the rear of the park. Go to Caddy right away. Make sure he’s ok. Rest of team go towards rear of park and link up with us,” came Werner’s digitized voice.

“Copy that Alpha 1,” dutifully replied the contractor.

The men in the back of the truck hung on more tightly as the truck began descending the hill at the entrance to the park.

The truck came screaming to a stop at the edge of the driveway and some distance from the one that had delivered Werner into Caddy’s hands. One contractor nearly fell from the back of the pickup bed in the commotion.

The lead man calmly issued directions in a rapid fire pace. There were seven of them in total.

Pointing to the men closest to him he said, “You four follow me. Spread out and start making your way towards the back of the park. Double time.” As he spun and began running with the other men he called back to the two remaining men and directed them to go help Caddy.

Turning his attention back to linking up with Werner, he and the four other contractors sprinted ahead while spreading out to avoid getting too bunched up. The park was basically a large bowl shaped area with hills far higher than the level of the football fields and playgrounds.

Towards the rear of the park, the hills not only rose in height, they began converging to form the back of the bowl. It wasn’t long before the five men were nearing the end of the level ground.

Pausing for a second, the group of men looked around bewildered. Perhaps Werner had continued up the side of the hill and out of the park. Surely he would have radioed further instructions to warn them of this.

“Alpha 1, come in,” said the leader into his radio as the men attempted to catch their breath.

“Alpha 1, come in,” he repeated.

Looking confused the leader turned to one of the men to instruct him to call. Maybe his radio suddenly died. Electronic things sometimes had a mind of their own and quit working for no discernable reason.

“Give it a….”

Before he could finish the sentence a hail of rifle fire opened up. Within the first seconds three of the five men were crumpled to the ground with mortal wounds. The remaining two began frantically running back towards the park building, which offered the only real protection from the hail of bullets crashing in around them. Terror gripped the men as rifle rounds whizzed by them.

The crack of suppressed rifle fire echoed off the hills from strange directions and only added to the chaos.

The team leader was the last to die. Hopelessly unable to find the attackers he tried in vain to seek some sort of protection from the death crashing in around him.

Just before their fellow contractors died in an ambush a hundred and fifty yards away, the two remaining men were just about to reach Caddy. More from coincidence than any real planning, at nearly the exact moment the rifle fire began mowing down their friends, one of the contractors pulled open the door to the men’s room.

Had they been born with a superhero’s x-ray vision they would have never yanked the door open.

Blessed only with the vision of mortals, they were unable to see the two long strings that dissected the open area of the bathroom. One end of each string was tied innocently to the door handle.

They also were unable to see the terrified man trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey and firmly tied to water pipe across the bathroom. In addition to the rope, copious quantities of duct-tape prevented the man from moving arms, legs, his head or mouth. Essentially he was the duct-tape mummy.

The last thing their human vision failed to detect was that the two strings hanging across the bathroom terminated at the round firing pins of two hand grenades. Hand grenades that just so happened to be duct-taped to the body of the doomed man. The grenades were angled towards the door and whoever installed them was sure to straighten the ends of the cotter pins that held the fuse spoon in place to ensure that little force was needed to dislodge them.

In their zeal to rescue Caddy, the two contractors sealed the fate of Richard Werner. The explosions ripped his body to shreds and painted the inside of the bathroom in a final, bloody testament of his doom.

Thirty minutes later, Miller and Caddy pulled their motorbike over into the woods to catch their breath before returning to ClarMar Farms. They had wanted to get as far away as possible before any more forces arrived and the situation became more than they could handle.

“Not too shabby eh?” said Miller with a smile.

Caddy returned the smile. “Better than I hoped.”

Miller, breathing a little heavily asked, “and you were satisfied with Werner’s demise?”

Looking down at the two empty grenade pouches on his web gear, all Caddy could say was, “Semper Fi”.

Before Miller could say anything else, Caddy continued, “I may be getting older, and am just a dumb leatherneck, but I heard a lot more rifle fire than just what our pea shooters could put out.”

“Yea,” said Miller. “Let’s talk about that back at the farm”.

With that they fired up their motorbike and began the long journey back to ClarMar Farms.

The contractor who had been kneeling next to Caddy when Miller caught them off guard, the driver, slowly awoke from his coma. His head was pounding and he felt as if a freight train rolled over top of him.

Groggily, he collected himself and checked to see if his extremities worked. Verifying that he was still alive, he slowly pulled himself upright. It didn’t take long to figure out he was in some woods just to the edge of Hardee Park.

As he raised up, he noticed a piece of paper folded and placed in his hand.

It read, “Always liked you. You are a good man. See you around. C”

The contractor that figured out that DeMetrie and his men were deserters and hiding out at ClarMar farms shook his head and re-read the note several times.

Staggering to his feet he shuffled back to the scene of the carnage at Hardee Park.

Miller slipped into the booth of the restaurant twenty miles north of Lumberton. The old roadside café was clean and impressive during the Eisenhower presidency. Those glory days had long since faded leaving the floor worn, counter chipped and few matching glasses. The service was good and food better, but the diner had the ambience of a bus depot.

Choosing the last booth in the corner, he was able to keep an eye on the door and the rest of the café in a single glance. Old habits die hard.

“Get you something to eat sweetie?” asked the waitress, a weather worn woman who had spent more years waiting tables than she cared to admit.

Smiling up at her Miller replied, “Just coffee please. Black.”

“Sure thing.” The waitress twirled off and within seconds returned. “Let me know if you need something else.”

“I’m meeting a friend. We may order something after he gets here.”

The minutes crept by as Miller sipped his coffee and allowed himself to fall into the natural rhythm of the comings and goings of the café. Soon he had a good read on the regulars, those passing through and the staff. Everything seemed in place. Even the couple with the young child, clearly just passing through, dined while adrift in their own world.

Miller had gotten there earlier than needed to get a read on the situation and prepare himself for what promised to be a big meeting.

As the door creaked to an open, and the middle-aged man walked though the door, it was clear this is with whom Miller would meet. He was just over six foot tall, over 200lbs and had the appearance of a one-time football linebacker who had allowed time and too many cheeseburgers to effect his physique.

The man soon realized Miller was with whom he’d be meeting. Casually he made his way to Millers booth. He handled it well. He didn’t stand and gawk as he looked over the situation, nor did he make a flashy show of identifying Miller.

“You Sizer?” the man asked.

Miller nodded his assent. While squeezing the Glock 27 in the kydex holster wedged under his left thigh to confirm its presence, Miller motioned for the man to sit with his right.

On cue the waitress arrived and just as quickly returned with an ice tea.

Miller and the man silently sized each other up as the stranger sugared his tea.

“I think we have a lot to talk about,” stated the man.

Before replying Miller scanned the diner to ensure everything was still in place. Satisfied that nothing was amiss, he returned his attention to the middle-aged man across from him.

“Yes sir, I believe we do”

Using Caddy’s information Miller was making his first contact with a different group of people working to resist the contractors and ultimately the tyranny of Miles Donovan. The future of the resistance would be forged by the outcome of the meeting.

Stowing the last bit of gear onboard one of the boats formally belonging to the Floyd brothers, Dink scanned the deck and controls. He didn’t know a lot about boating but he knew how to read a map and had chosen the smallest of the three crafts.

Barnes helped load in the last two backpacks, mostly filled with food and medical supplies.

“You going to be able to do this?” asked the former Reverend.

“Hell, how hard can it be Rev?” said Dink with a broad smile. “If that fat guy and Gilligan can do it, why can’t a former deputy with a surplus of charm and dashing good looks?”

Chuckling Barnes started removing the mooring lines. “From what Miller said, the river is pretty unguarded right now. You ought to make the rendezvous point with the ClarMar Farms truck in a couple of days.”

‘If you weren’t a reverend, I’d have a few choice words about that truck” declared Dink as he prepared to fire up the engine of the boat that would take him part of the way back to Wyoming, Maggie, Miller’s family and his friend Webb. “At least I don’t have to make the border crossing cramped up in that compartment under the bed in the cab. I’ll never eat a pretzel again.”

While the river was thus far unfettered from Dononvan’s grasp, crossing out of the Southern Zone was getting more and more difficult for the few freight trucks allowed to make the journey. Inspections had become more rigorous and trucks were being confiscated on a nearly routine basis. Thus, the plan was for Dink to captain one of the acquired boats part way up the river, and rendezvous with the farm’s semi-truck to take him the rest of the way home. Once they were out of the Southern Zone it would be smooth sailing.

As the engine roared to life Dink smiled up to Barnes who watched the boat start to drift out into the small inlet area. “Piece of cake” was all he said.

“Good luck Dink”

“Reverend, you seem like a good man. I’m gonna give you some advice”

Barnes had never known Dink to be so serious. He wasn’t sure he’d seen Dink be serious the entire time he’d been around. As he wrinkled his forehead in curiosity he replied, “Of course”.

“Be careful with Miller. He cheats. Don’t ever go shooting with him”

With that Dink smiled and let loose with a hardy laugh. He increased the boat’s throttle and began idling out of the inlet area and towards the big body of water.

He was ready to go home.

A mood of relief swept over the compound the men called home. Following the timely demise of Werner and the loss of Caddy, the contractors in the county fell into disarray. Some of the units continued to patrol the City Hall complex in Shelton, but for now the patrols and raids had ceased.

The air of celebration fueled Lowry and Reynolds as they cleaned rifles and stowed gear. Lowry’s face, still swollen from the beating while he was being held at City Hall stood testament to his close brush with fate. Nonetheless, the usual banter and good-natured taunting common amongst Military men echoed through the buildings as the men completed their chores.

Just outside the main building Caddy and Captain DeMetrie walked together through the woods. Working their way down the pathway towards the winding creek behind the compound, the two men shared their common experiences while both men sized up the other.

DeMetrie was still very wary about taking Caddy into their group. The discussion with Miller was the first time they strongly disagreed as they evaluated the wisdom of allowing him access. The Captain had begrudgingly acquiesced after hearing how Caddy saved the life of two of his men in the final showdown with Werner by using animal tranquilizers from ClarMar and hauling them out of harms way. In a way only a warrior could appreciate, Caddy had also scored points in DeMetrie’s eyes by coldly dispatching the contractors from other firms that had arrived on scene. It was clear he was loyal to his men and deadly to his enemies.

As the two men skipped rocks at the creek like adolescents playing hooky from school they slowly found a common ground from which to form a partnership.

DeMetrie prayed he and Miller were making the right decision. If they were wrong, Caddy could bring death upon them all.

“Holy Christ!” screamed Donovan when news of the debacle in Shelton reached his ears. His normal channels of information were delayed somewhat as the details of the final showdown and the disappearance of Caddy were hashed out. When it finally reached him his anger was immediate.

Tossing down the manila folder in disgust the Senator railed, “That’s two different contracting firms that have gone to shit down there. That place is slowly becoming a royal pain in my ass”

Collecting himself he turned to the group of aides who had been meeting with him as the bombshell news was dropped. Speaking directly to the impish man who was his main assistant Donovan said, “Enough mucking around. Get me the commandant of the State Troopers on the phone.”

Realizing that his military forces would be tied up protecting his borders and the performance of his contracting firms was inconsistent, Donovan had merged the State Highway Patrols of all the states in his Southern District. While there were some deserters, mostly honorable men and women who couldn’t stomach being a part of his mad grab at power, there were plenty of remaining troopers to form the nucleus of a combination Secret Police and elite fighting force. They were the Waffen SS to the contracting firms Wehrmacht. They gave him yet another pool of resources to wield in his quest for control.

The group who had abducted Reverend Barnes before firebombing his church was from the ranks of these men.

“Line one Senator,” said the impish man.

Not wasting a breath on pleasantries, Donovan simply delivered his wishes to the man at the other end of the line. “Listen Bill, there’s a problem down in Shelton. Put together a contingent of men and send them down there. There’s a couple contracting firms in the area. Go through them and toss the ones who aren’t serious. Be ready for a fight. This is important and could get ugly if we don’t take care of it.”

Listening for a few seconds Donovan continued, “Good. Let me know when you send them over there. I’ll work on getting you some full-blown military support. Can’t make promises, but I want these folks tracked down and eliminated.”

Senator hung up the phone with just as much warmth and kindness as how it answered it. He simply hung up before the other man could respond.

Speaking out loud and to nobody in particular Miles Donovan said, “Those piss-ants want a fight? Well, they’re about to get one.”

PROLOGE:

Greg and Clarissa Donner sat on the front porch of their home as they took a mid-day break. While the business of ClarMar farms hummed around them they enjoyed the beauty of the day. Clouds drifted high above while the trees lazily moved in time with the gentle breeze. It was one of those moments that could have just as easily been a television commercial

Nothing was said as father and daughter took in the splendor of the moment. Sipping his drink, Greg leaned back in his chair and soaked in the momentary tranquility.

Lost in their bliss, neither of them realized they were not alone as they enjoyed their moment.

From behind his high-power spotting scope a pair of eyes followed their activities with great interest.

Wrapping up several hours of observation the man carefully and deliberately backed out of his hide and began the several hundred-yard belly crawl that would return him to a place where he could more practically move.

Standing up he dusted off his pants and oversized shirt and began walking away from the farm at a steady pace. He was walking fast enough to cover ground quickly, but still maintained a vigilant scan for any signs of trouble.

After nearly an hour he returned to a small thicket of trees beside one of the ubiquitous country roads that dissected the county. He sat in the front seat for several minutes as he collected his thoughts. Finally satisfied he hadn’t overlooked anything; he reached down and turned the ignition to his small jeep.

Seeing a folder piece of paper on the seat next to him he couldn’t help but read it again. While he had memorized the words weeks ago they still rang through his mind with a mixture of appreciation and confusion,

“Always liked you. You are a good man. See you around. C”