Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for a hunting noob

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Tips for a hunting noob

I want to give hunting coyotes and hogs a try. Not all that interested in deer, birds etc.

I know this is very very broad, but any bits of wisdom or tips/tricks you could share with a suburban kid who's version of hunting is trying to find the hot sauce isle at WallMart?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Uhhh, the bullets come out of the end with the little hole in the middle.

Seriously, in many places coyotes are considered pests and there are bounties on them. That's right, you get paid to kill them. Also, their pelts can be sold on the fur market, but only if not damaged. Normally, they are trapped and shot in the ear or eye, so as not to damage the pelt.
    Often, they do crop damage, or kill deer that landowners get paid by hunt clubs to allow to be hunted, so landowners will pay for each one killed.
    So, you can be paid by the landowner, and paid by the county, and then sell the pelt, if you work it right. That's year round.
    At least that's how it works here.

the single best piece of advice is take a hunters safety course. First off it is probably required to get your hunting license in the state you are in ( most require them of all but the oldest farts). You may well know the ins and outs of safe firearms handling but these courses go beyond that and take it to the level of ealing with safety while hunting, and you will learn more about dealing with the game than you realize, not to mention they are an excellent source of contacts in your area to find out good hunting areas and other important tips from people who are taking their kids to the course. and dont feel embarassed about being an adult, there are plenty of adults that take the courses as well. When I enrolled my youngest in the course last season half the class was over 25...

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Just come visit. We can hunt both. I will teach you, padawan.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

+1 dragon's advice. If you're new to hunting that's a excellent place to start. Additionally (At least up here) plan on taking a rifle for coyote that shoots long and flat. I've never seen one closer than about 150 yards away. They seem to just KNOW when someone is hunting them. As for hogs, I can't offer a bit of advice. Never even seen a wild hog.Other than that the only thing I can say is approach a hunting trip like you're going for a walk in the woods with a rifle and any game brought home is a bonus. It always seems like if you're determined to go out and get an animal you are guaranteed to not see one.

The cototes here will get well within 50 yards. They seem to have no fear. I shot one with my 1911 last year after it tried to eat me. Distance: about 7 yards.

As for hogs, I typically hunt them with a .308 or larger. The hogs here are a bit more leery of people, but they are everywhere. It's not too hard to find them. Key is, stay clear of momma pig and those tusks.

I will also echo the others' advice. Take the class.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Wow, 'yotes are gutsy down there! Do you have a lot of hogs in Tn? I thought they were more down Georgia/Florida way. Thaat's something I've always wanted to try hunting.

That's not a typical experience, but they do get very close. I think that one had rabies.

Hogs are all over the place down here. Especially up here in the mountains..

If I ever get down that way maybe you can take me out after them. Goes both ways, though. You ever want to go bear hunting up here give me a shout!

For the Love of Cats

Not overly applicable to you folks as such... but with an easy adaptation it could be. My favorite way to hunt yotes (and foxes and wolves) is to go out onto a lake ice fishing. Tarp up the entire site including sleds with white tarps. and cover our clothing with one of these: Tyvek Suits, Protective Clothing & Disposable Tyvek Coveralls from T.a.s.c.o.

Then when we catch some fish, take them 50-100 yards away, in an appropriate direction for the wind and gut/gil them on the ice. set up an electronic call, and go back and sit behind the tarp with the rifles.

fun fun fun

Oh... adaptation... think fields and appropriate coloured ground covers... it seems that once they smell the blood, they have a single purpose in life... to take a bullet! lol