Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to EMP proof your things?

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day

How to EMP proof your things?

So...how do i EMP proof my vehicles and other things i might wanna EMP proof?

a few years back a couple dozen modern day vehicals were tested against an emp of 40 kv/m (not quite the strength of an emp int he red zone, but stronger than the dark blue zone)

none of the cars that were turned off at the time of the pulse failed to start. of the ones that were running at the time something like 7 out of 40 had to be towed away.

does this mean your car is emp PROOF? no, but it puts the risk into some perspective.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    So if you suspect a possible EMP turn off your car and stuff and wait for it to pass and you will probably be ok?

how would you 'suspect a possible emp'? once you have any reason to suspect one, it's too late the damage was done in the first few nanoseconds. unless by suspect you mean hear a warning on the tv/radio.

Yeah, i would think that only a radio/tv broadcast would give ample warning of a possible EMP.

Where's the epi?

So the emp doesn't fry the electronic/computer system? It simply disables it for a short period of time?

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

It will fry it if it isn't sheilded properly.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Where's the epi?

From what I understood it had to be within a lead container in order to not be affected...is this true?

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Lead is most effective in sheilding from EMP. A properly designed Farady Cage, below ground will also be affective in sheilding electronics.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    So the emp doesn't fry the electronic/computer system? It simply disables it for a short period of time?
    int he study i referred to (i'll try and dig up a link, but my bookmarks are a mess) the mast majority of the time the electronics werent destroyed. and the vehical could be driven away. there may have been electronic damage, such as no radio, various power features or the dash board not working, but you could drive the car at least.