Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salsa, maters and canning

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day

Salsa, maters and canning

I got a couple good size boxes of Maters. I wanna make salsa and try my hand at canning it. But i have never canned before. Where do i start?

I'll most likely shit myself

I assume you have never canned anything before? How many folks are you canning for?

I would recommend you the book by Ball, who is a major canning equipment manufacture, Ball's guide to canning. It's pretty comprehensive and has receipes in it.

I really don't know how to answer you without a little more info.

Where's the epi?

Also there are pre seasoned salsa packets in with the canning items that you add to your tomato's and can. I believe all the instructions are on the packet. It might be the easy way for your first time so you don't have to buy all fresh ingredients and cut them all up. I bought a package but haven't tried it yet.

Queen of the Doom Room
    I agree with BP...Ball Blue Book.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Well i bought the book, canner thing, tongs and i have 3 new flats of pint jars. I just finished peeling and seeding the maters. I will prolly make the salsa tomorrow. I bought 3 of them spice packs to use this time around.

First time canning and it is for learning purposes mainly right now. I got 8 people live in my home but i am only canning the certain amount because it is all i have today. I will learn from these first couple of batches then go from there to bigger batches.

Where's the epi?

I just canned 1 batch using that Salsa mix in the package....I tasted it before putting it up. It has a nice little kick to it, not too spicey but enough to get your tongue. The package says it will make 5 pints but I only got 4 out of it but I guess it depends on how big your maters are.

Ok lady, thanx for the info. i got church tonite so i wont be able to finish till tomorrow after work. will make the salsa and can it all tomorrow. will let ya know how it goes.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sounds like your on the right track. The pack mixes are good, my wife always uses Mrs Wages for her bread and butter pickles. I'm sure they make salsa mix as well.
    We didn't like the Ball brand mixes as well.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

BP, are you and the misses going to pickle anything? I ask because with having chickens we are getting eggs to fast to use. I have tried the pickled ones and they are ok. I thought it would be a good way to keep them and use them in small quantities.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.