Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Pressure Can Meat: October 2011 Thread of the Month Contest Winner

Crotch Rocket

This was outstanding. I hadn't even considered canning meat. Thank you
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Queen of the Doom Room
    Thanks again!

While our Katadyn filter is super important and plays a big role in our plan (ETA - as does our Wheat Grinder), the Pressure Canner has become, by far, my most favorite "tool" when it comes to our food storage.

Canning meat is much easier than canning jelly, as far as I'm concerned. And for us, with our limited storage space, getting those proteins on the shelf was the priority and still is today. As of today, we have over 400 jars of meat. At a jar a day, that's a little over a year's worth.

We've dedicated an entire bedroom to our Long Term food storage. Because we're in Florida, we don't have the luxury of a cellar or basement so we've done the best we can. We put cardboard up in the window to keep the light out. I keep all the jars in the boxes they come in to block additional light. Our A/C runs at least six months out of the year so if I had to guess, we probably maintain a yearly average of around 70 degrees or so. We are rotating stock that is dated 2009 and it's every bit as good as the day I canned it.

Molly, I'd be really interested in hearing your review of the Chicken Thighs. Just for comparison purposes. Did you can yours the same way I did mine? If you did something different, and like your results, would you share?
    Last edited by JustAPrepper; 10-14-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Where's the epi?

Wow Justa!!!! 400 jars, that is soooo impressive. Hats off to you! How long did it take you to do all of that and what sizes are they? I have no problem doing jams...I have tons of them (we have lots of fruit trees here) and they didn't really scare me but the meats terrified me. BUT you make it seem so easy so I know I have to do more of them and just do it! You have inspired me so I'm going to really make the effort to can all the meats except the ground beef...I'll take your word for it and not your husbands...LOL

Queen of the Doom Room
    Lady, I started canning summer of 2009. I think it took me right at a year, maybe a little longer to get 300+ jars. Once we met that we started eating and rotating on a regular basis. Having a one year supply at all times is my goal. Just recently we fell a ways below that so I've been canning a lot lately but now I can back off a little. I'm glad I inspired you. I promise, it really is as easy as I've said and the meats are outstanding. You can do it!!

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAPrepper View Post
    Lady, I started canning summer of 2009. I think it took me right at a year, maybe a little longer to get 300+ jars. Once we met that we started eating and rotating on a regular basis. Having a one year supply at all times is my goal. Just recently we fell a ways below that so I've been canning a lot lately but now I can back off a little. I'm glad I inspired you. I promise, it really is as easy as I've said and the meats are outstanding. You can do it!!
    We have a few things we need to get done and then I'm gonna go and but a bunch of pork and chicken to can. I guess if I can do 100 jars of peaches, 80 jars of cherry jam, more than 100 jars of various types of apple items, rasperry and blackberry jams, and as many of pears I guess I can do meats. I guess meats just seem to be harder because they take so long in the cooker where jams are fast in the water bath. My canner only does 7 pints at a time so it seems to take forever.

BUT, I will do it...I promise and then I'll take some pics (if I do it right LOL!)

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Great write up. I never canned anything in my life until about 3 months ago. Since then I have put up 70 jars of chicken. I think that is about 25 whole chickens. Going to do some deer and wild hog meat next.

Here are some of the jars of chicken.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Great write up. I never canned anything in my life until about 3 months ago. Since then I have put up 70 jars of chicken. I think that is about 25 whole chickens. Going to do some deer and wild hog meat next.

Are those pints and how many people do they feed? Good job!!!!

Queen of the Doom Room
    Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post

Great job, Helo! I bet it's easier than you thought and it adds up quick doesn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Are those pints and how many people do they feed? Good job!!!!
    Yes they are pints. The pints just happen to fit better in that location than quarts. I have all sizes, but have only done pints so far. With some side dishes one pint will feed all 4 of us in my family. If eating just the meat, 2 people maybe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustAPrepper View Post
    Great job, Helo! I bet it's easier than you thought and it adds up quick doesn't it?!
    Thanks

Yeah it is easy, had a few that didn't seal, but we just ate those. My cooker will do 8 of the wide mouth jars, or 9 of the regular mouth jars.