Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Illness Scares You the Most Post SHTF?

What Illness Scares You the Most Post SHTF?

This is my first thread! I thought I'd start it because I was over at another thread about dental problems and that's what scares me the most right now about postSHTF illnesses. I know there's a ton of physical ailments that are horrible to endure without medical intervention, but for some reason having one's teeth go bad scares me the most because of the intense pain. I had a tooth go bad about a year ago and I never felt anything so painful in my life as that. I couldn't wait to have the root canal done! So, there's my most fearful fear, what's yours and why?

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Teeth can be dealt with fairly easily. Anything that requires surgery would be a problem.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

My 2 year old twins are on very specialized heart medications. What scares me most is not being able to access, substitute, or compound those medications. I can have all the food, water, ammo, guns, gear, etc in the world, but it doesn't help my kids any if they can't get the medications they need.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

I have a friend with a similar dilemma, izzy. His son needs anti-seizure medicine that is incredibly expensive, that he isn't allowed to buy extra of anyway, and can only get a finite amount of through his insurance Its impossible to skip a dose on to "save one here and there" too. We've been back and forth on this issue a time or two, with no good answers. Is there anything you've come up with that you can share?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    My 2 year old twins are on very specialized heart medications. What scares me most is not being able to access, substitute, or compound those medications. I can have all the food, water, ammo, guns, gear, etc in the world, but it doesn't help my kids any if they can't get the medications they need.
    I am on blood pressure medicine. I am told that I may suffer sudden death if I suddenly stop taking them. Having enough of them in advance to be able to cut down little by little is almost impossible. Nobody want to prescribe more than 3 months in advance.

I'll most likely shit myself

RJ So am I. I have finally figured out the best I can do with the insurance. I can receive an order at 18 days before the 3 months are totally up. This gives me almost 3 weeks at every order. Like MI mentioned I skip a day here and there to add to the stock.

Queen of the Doom Room
    I'm with Molly on this one, probably because I've experienced little else. I've never even broken a bone. I did have two major surgeries a few years ago, a Hysterectomy that went awry and needed a follow up surgery but I was under doctor's care the whole time and was well medicated. But, I've always had an aversion to the dentist so I floss and brush several times a day. Having my teeth go bad in a SHTF situation would really freak me out.

Chicken Pox also come to mind. I'm not sure if anyone remembers or experienced "Pox Parties". It's where mother's used to put their kids with friend or neighbor kids who had the Pox so the kid could get them and get them out of the way. I went to at least one and never caught them. Catching the Pox as an adult can be fatal so I steer clear of anyone I know who has a kid with Chicken Pox.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    This is off topic slightly..but just this week I had occassion to hear of two diseases I didn't think really bothered people any more: Hand, Foot and Mouth and Scarlett Fever. There was a break out of hand, foot and mouth at a kindergarten 30 mins from me took out the whole class and a break out of scarlett fever at our local hs. Two kids are in the hospital.
    More than any other bizarre way s could htf...disease scares me the most.
    As for what am I afraid of....anything that causes high fevers, which we take for granted being able to reduce now so easily with over the counter meds.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I have a friend with a similar dilemma, izzy. His son needs anti-seizure medicine that is incredibly expensive, that he isn't allowed to buy extra of anyway, and can only get a finite amount of through his insurance Its impossible to skip a dose on to "save one here and there" too. We've been back and forth on this issue a time or two, with no good answers. Is there anything you've come up with that you can share?
    I'm still tring to figure it out myself. the heart meds are compounded and only last a couple weeks at a time. So that basically leaves me learning how to compound and "shopping" should the SHTF. Problem is, eventually the number of places I can "shop" at is going to be next to none.

The Lasix and antibiotics I'm not so worried about. Its the enalapril. I have about a 6 month supply of the blood pressure meds used to take, I'll have to see if those han be used in any way.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

Probably infection, say from an injury. I have a bunch of antibiotics, but they don't last forever, and it doesn't take much to get an infected cut now, never mind post SHTF esp if there will be serious water rationing.