Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Food Storage

Queen of the Doom Room

Our Food Storage

Every time I add a significant amount of "something", or do a re-organization of some sort, I always take pictures for insurance purposes. In the past couple weeks I've put together and loaded our Can Rotators (we got them for free from a friend who actually designs cardboard store displays...he got the plans off the net and made a bunch for us to test.) I also emptied and cleaned the Dry Good/Condiment Pantry and this week I added 36 Pints of Chicken to the Doom Room and did a little reorganization. I've never been one to worry much about OPSEC, especially when it comes to our food storage. If anything, I'm more worried about showing our things that go boom than a few cans of Chili or a few buckets of wheat.

This was a progression over time, about a year and a half, and took a few remodels. Some larger than others. The now Dry Good/Condiment Pantry has always been 6' long X 3' deep but used to hold everything. The Doom Room used to be DH's office and also held the spare bed for guests. The Canned Good Pantry used to be a small closet with double rods that held all my T-Shirts.

Now...The Dry Good/Condiment Pantry has had smaller shelves added to take up dead head space and allow for more storage. I gave up half of my office space to allow DH to move his office in with mine. We got rid of the spare bed and freed up the entire room. I emptied the T-Shirt closet, kept what I wanted and donated the rest. DH built and installed the shelves that now hold over 600 cans.

Both the Dry Good/Condiment and Canned Good Pantries are on Maintenance Mode. As we use a jar/can, they get replaced the next shopping trip. Some things in the Dry Good Pantry don't get replaced as our tastes change and we find things we don't like or are sick of eating so that particular pantry is always in a state of flux. As for the Doom Room, it's our Long Term Storage Room. While we rotate as much as possible, only the home canned goods need to be replenished on a regular basis.

***Everything is dated and as new things come in, everything gets pulled so the newest can go to the back. Now that I have a system, it really doesn't take that long to pull and replenish. Also, Blue Painter's Tape is my BFF. Anything with a slick label or something that a Sharpie won't stick to, gets Blue Painter's Tape. Santa delivers at least three rolls in my stocking each year.

Here's the Dry Good/Condiment Pantry...

Queen of the Doom Room
    Dry Good/Condiment Pantry continued...

The bottom left holds all our extra laundry/cleaning stuff and the bottom right holds any excess pantry stuff that I pull from when needed.

Queen of the Doom Room
    The Canned Good Pantry...and its overflow...

Queen of the Doom Room
    The Doom Room

Queen of the Doom Room
    Doom Room Continued

Queen of the Doom Room
    Doom Room Continued

Queen of the Doom Room
    Doom Room Continued

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Wow

The source of all known trouble in the universe

You ain't "JustAPrepper". You're ready!!

What is all this? 6 months worth for you and your family? This is impressive.

Good job also on the fishing rods and the emergency box.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

W.O.W. Nice, Girl! You're Prepared with a capitol P.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.