Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Garden harvest

I'll most likely shit myself

Last Garden harvest

We have pretty much finished up the garden for the year. The only stuff we have left is some green beans, Kidney beans, Corn for the chickens, A little Aramanath (first time trying to grow that. I will do a larger crop next year), and a surprise when I was plowing getting ready to sow the over winter stuff. I had planted a short row of carrots and thought the hail had killed them out. They turned out very nice. There will be a much bigger row next year. Here a Pic.

Here's one of the corn.

And the aramanath.

This variety grew to over 10 feet tall. It took a while for it to get up and growing. But once the summer got hot it took off. I can't even touch the seed head on the taller variety's any more. I have harvested about a half dozen heads so far and have tied them up in the basement to dry.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Sweet, what is aramanath used for

It's a grain and is suppose to be good for breads, tortilla's ect. We'll just have to see how it works out. The seed is tiny so it'll take a fair amount to make anything with.
    This was done as an experiment, but seems to have done well.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I am going to start on my greenhouse and aquaponics system right after deer season. It is going to be one hell of a project.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Backpacker....good stuff here buddy. Thanks for sharing.

Every once in a great while I think about starting a garden. Then I remember that I'm far to lazy to maintain it or a bird flies by the window and distracts me.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Mine garden always dies, not normally through my hand.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacpacker........You actually "like" the fact my garden died?? That's cold, friend. Just for that, I'm stealing the chicken coop and salting all of your land!!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Nope, I liked the shared expereince kinda thing. I wouldn't wish a storm like that on too many people. Surely not on a bud!

I just had to LOL when I saw you did that!

For the Love of Cats

I was out yesterday picking the last of my tomatoes off the vines ...

and I look over and see 1/2 dozen strawberries all hanging re in plain view off the vines! Unbelievable! this is the second week of October in CANADA... We had our first frost 3 weeks ago. It was -4C when I got up this morning. And they were sweet and juicy. go figure.

Tomorrow I'll probably pull all my carrots and onions. They seem to have done better in the last month too.

not that I'm complaining.