Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When the SHTF what are you going to feed your dog

Do you have a robot?

When the SHTF what are you going to feed your dog

I have a lab that likes to go into the garden and take ears of corn off the stock a eat them on the lawn. I always knew that dogs like corn but I always thought that it was the butter on the corn stocks after a barbecue. When I started checking there are a lot of dog foods that contain corn. I decied to check further. So since it is the end of the season I took the remaining ears out of the garden and put them in a pile for him. He will eat two or three a day, the entire corn cob and all. He just likes to supplement his normal food by forgeing for himself. So now I am putting away more corn seeds to help him through along with us.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Depending on the SHTF and the dog, maybe I won't feed the dog but it will feed me. (OK, I am just joking)

For the Love of Cats

I have a 120# lab ... I subsidize his dry food with table scraps already, so when the dry runs out... just more table scraps. or I'll just shoot critters for him.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

My TAST will eat whatever I eat and act like its her best meal ever, Corn on the cob is a real treat to her too. About half an ear is all she can handle tho.
    My cats on the other hand are going to be a bit trickier. Cats will not survive long as vegetarians. Short term fine, long term not so well. Cats must have taurine in their diet or they will develop all kinds of problems. Taurine is abundant in meat. The 3 of them are rescued, declawed inside cats so not a lot of mouse action for them. Doubtful if they would survive on their own.

Cool. This is post 223. Good SHTF number
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

For the Love of Cats

Oooh... didn't think about the cat!

Yeah the dog would eat that too.

lol

but seriously, my cat is already on a high protein diet (meat) as she is diabetic. 3 weeks after SHTF, she'll be out of insulin, and then her days are numbered.

I'll most likely shit myself

Hadn't thought about corn for the dog. We have a 75lb golden retreiver. She eats dry only. I am stocking bags for her. I'm already growing corn for the chicken's, guess that needs to expand for the dog to.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    Depending on the SHTF and the dog, maybe I won't feed the dog but it will feed me. (OK, I am just joking)
    I prefer cats, but it's hard for me to finish a whole one

Seriously, when my first doberman passed this year after 13 years of loyal service, I got a blue heeler, Mad Max. He'll eat about anything that isn't nailed downed. My last dobie, Sadie, before she passed taught him to excavate for gophers and he's discovered that he has a taste for rodents, so I have little doubt that he will eat anything I do. And, as he is a smaller (~50 lbs) dog, my dog food bill has shrunk considerably.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Feed them the people they catch trying to steal supplies?

(Now this was supposed to get laughs, not advocating violence)

I'll most likely shit myself

Sounds like a good idea if times are bad.

Tastes like chicken?