Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hobbit house

Where's the epi?

Are there any plans on this house? Do they have to use a dehumidifier all year long? Do they need to use the fireplace daily to keep the chill off? Are there any pics of the other side? What kind of solar are they using? This is very interesting to me since we are looking at all options to go off grid and different types of houses. All info is great.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Ah..Canada...land of the mystical lumberjack commandos....(just kidding guys!)

or am I.......
    Izzy and Stig in disquise....sorry, that house is nice also.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

They do not have the plans anymore, like I said, it was built almost 30 years ago. He granted me permission to post those 2 pics of his place, but didn't want any showing the front or anymore detailed views of their house/property.

I have been in there many times and can probably answer any questions you may have.

They do not need to run a dehumidifier, nor a fireplace, as they have no moisture/dampness issues. Inside the house, you wouldn't know it was underground, unless you knew it was underground. it really just looks like a normal house. It is a concrete construction, made with poured floor and walls(basement) then preformed concrete girders for the ceiling/main floor; poured walls, and preformed concrete ceiling again. He did lament once how much easier it would have been to build it with the insulated interlocking concrete wall segments

Most of the inside was slatted and then covered with wood or drywall, as is the mainfloor ceiling. The mainfloor floor is done in hardwood over a floating pad. The only place that you can see the concrete is the basement ceiling, and that is only because they didn't want to bother covering it.
    One end of the mound is a 2 car garage, which also has a full basement under it. He has a 4' square hole in one corner, where he pushes wood down into the basement, where he has a homebuilt wood stove, that he uses in the winter.