Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Load Capacity of Your Vehicle ?

yup. like i said i w il have same size tires and such on rigs and trailers. as for dry rot lol not enough sun to make me worry too much

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I'm more limited by storage area than weight... I have an Xterra which is getting some heavier duty rear shocks soon because they are worn out, AND to be able to control a heavier load at speed. I really don't have much space inside the vehicle at all when there is a child seat in the back seat and my wife in the passenger seat (no she's not a big gal) I have been working on a design/plan for packing essentials into the interior cargo area and back seat area in tubs that fit neatly in the area without wasted square footage, I've even considered building up a raised floor that would allow me to slide several rifle cases under the shelf and stack more durable hard-sided storage containers, and ammo cans above. I am also planning a trailer hitch mounted platform with 2-5 gallon gas cans =170 extra miles and other bulky gear for short term and a Nissan Frontier truck bed trailer eventually which will have pre-loaded gear on board at all times and a generator on the tongue to allow for essential gear in the truck in case the trailer had to be ditched or stowed away for a short period of time. I really prefer not to have to pack both vehicles and head out just because I can't trust my wife to drive like Mad Max and keep up, but as of right now, that's what we'd have to do if it was a never coming home type of situation.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by alaska View Post
    Been thinking about a small trailer. Looking more and more feasable as I read this.
    A Bug-Out-Trailer. That's an idea.

Heck ya, a BOT

Crotch Rocket

I hadn't given this much consideration before now, so thank you for bringing this up. I checked the door tag, and looked it up. The door gave me just over 1000 pounds. Since the online info is 200 pounds higher I'm assuming there's a safety factor written in for "CYA".
    The Bravada's curb weight was 4,049 lbs. Its maximum payload was 1,257 lbs. and its maximum towing capacity was 5,000 lbs.

Read more: Specifications for the 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada | eHow.com Specifications for the 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada | eHow.com
    Something else I'm happy was listed in the quote is my curb weight. I can guarantee you I'd have overlooked the weight of the safari rack, light kit, and push bumper I plan to add.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

There is a little CYA built in typically, but not always. Just remember if you are loaded even close to the upper weight limit, adjust yoru speed accordingly. It will not stop, or accelerate as fast. handling charecteristics will go badly downhill. At a minmum try and upgrade tires and suspension to what you can. Keep your tires inflated to the max pressure allowed, that will support the weight a little better and give you better control.

Crotch Rocket

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! Can you clarify what you mean on the tires though? It seems like there's a couple ways that can go. Whether it be a high quality, stock sized tire, or up-sizing...

Hopefully I never have to load it up like that though. I've now gotten further motivation to buy a deuce!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I would reccomend stock sizing, maybe 1 size larger. You can get different load rated tires at a given size. I went to a E rated tire when I got the camper. It will take up to 70psi and has thicker sidewalls, so more stability. it does ride rougher however. You don't need that heavy of a rating for most things, but just to let you know options are available.
    You really just need to plan out what your approximate wieght will be. you can plan tires around that.

its the load range you want to look at
    load range of a C or D is higher rated capacity
    On our plow/landscape trucks all had load range C tires
    As backpaker said there are options
    You can also get into speed rating, and some other things.
    Talk to your local tire guy. you can explain what you want w/o telling what your hauling. He can give you estimates on diff range sizes because after all he gets paid commission usually so they are usually willing to talk. do the home work. be diplomatic. decide what you want then shop to purchase

heres a brief site. hope I have been helpful

Tire Tech Information - Tire Size Guide

Crotch Rocket

Ok. Thanks again! I just went out and checked my tires. I'm due for new ones anyway, and just found out enough through consumer reports to know I won't be getting the same tire on there now. Its currently fitted with Dunlop Radial Rover A/T's, one size up from stock. I just a got a world of good information from this thread.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!